Shipped Chicks and Avian Influenza

cmchickens

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 9, 2014
Bigfork, Montana
Hello! I have what may be a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer else where. I have an order of chicks coming in the beginning of July from Hoover's Hatchery in Iowa. I emailed them and asked it they had any out breaks in their flocks or flocks near them and they said no and that they were not near any containment zones. However, I would like to know, am I risking the health of the chickens I already have by getting chicks shipped to me from there? Is there a chance the chicks could carry the disease to me? Please help assuage or confirm my fears! Thank you!

Any time you add birds to your existing flock, you run the risk of a disease being transmitted into your healthy flock. You need to quarantine new birds before they come anywhere close to your others. Keep them separate for 30 days, wash your hands before and after you move from one flock to the other (I've seen it recommended you change clothes too), keep feeders and waterers separate...read up on biosecurity, I'm probably missing some pointers.

Good luck to you and hope your new little ones are strong & healthy!

I buy my chicks from a reputable hatchery like McMurray or Cackle.They guarantee their flocks are avian flu clear.

I buy my chicks from a reputable hatchery like McMurray or Cackle.They guarantee their flocks are avian flu clear.

Those are reputable hatcheries but I still would quarantine before mixing the 2 groups together. I'm not going to run the risk of exposing/losing my existing birds even with a guarantee.

I've used Murray McMurray myself and been pleased with their service and birds but any time new birds are brought in, you really should quarantine first.

Better safe than sorry is one rule I believe in.

Back
Top Bottom