Shipped chicks dying..trying to save one Advice needed please..

TheSheriffswife

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
Baldwinsville NY
Hi guys..I recieved my shipped chicks from MPC on Wed. (6) Chicks shipped on Monday to upstate NY. Got them home right into the warm brooder with my other hatched 2 and 3 day olds..Noticed right off the bat all were alive but 5 out of the 6 were real small and runty, Oh well I thought maybe this is how hatchary chicks look..
Well, lost the first one later that night, listless, wouldn't eat or drink I tried all the tricks..then over the last 3 days I lost all but two..Besides being heartbroken and angry, that is another issue I feel they sent me some really tiny chicks that just couldn't handle the trip..
The one that wasn't runty is fine..
Anyway, 4 are dead I have one I call Patsy, she's been hanging on for days, coming and going I have been givng her the Savachik, grogel, she will get strong then go back in, eat and drink then can't keep up and get knocked around cause she's tiny, so I pulled her out and separated her,
This am went out and she was laying there back to being weak again, but stood up, wobbly..
wanting to go right back in with her sisters..(She's a little fighter!!) I really want to save her..
Ok long story short..
Can I keep her safe for a bit in the bator?? like if I keep the vents open keep the temp like 90 ish keep some food and water in there? I am just wanting to keep her warm and safe and away from the others..I was thinking it could be like a,little ICU
I didn't know if anyone does this..or is it safe to do?
I have the Brinsea Octagon 20 EX..
Any advice you all could give me I would appreciate it..
I know not to get my hopes up..I am used to the frickin heartbreak the last 3 days..It was my first and last time ordering chicks online..
All my 17 hatched chicks are fat, happy and healthy..
I will hatch from now on..If I knew this is how is went I would never have been part of this..I feel very guilty that I put them thru this in their little lives....
And MPC although I see gets very good reviews It didn't happen for me..they can keep my money and their chicks..I'm sure they would blame me anyway..
Oh, my brooder is 4 feet wide x 6 feet long x 4 feet high with 2 heat lamps temp is spot on with 2 thermometers, 2 small roosts, 2 food and 2 water areas and lots of room to roam..
Thanks guys! Also, just needed to vent...I've been crying for 3 days
sad.png

Thought I'd put a pic of little Patsy here..she is a true fighter!!

76733_img_3320.jpg

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about this. It sounds like you're doing everything that you possibly can. Keeping her seperated sounds like the best thing for her too so she doesn't get trampled. Is she getting enough water with her vitamins?? The extra vitamins should be helping her, but it just sounds like you literally got a bad batch of babies.

I know you don't want to, but you should still call MPC for sure. I know you're angry and heartbroken, but you still need to call them and let them know what happened. If you don't, that makes it that much easier for them to ship weak chicks again. It may have been something they didn't notice either, but never the less, you still should call them.

I hope Patsy makes it
fl.gif

ohmygod! I had to order the chickens I wanted online and have them shipped because, as far as I know, Im the only one of 3 peeps on the island that have them. Mine were all happy and healthy when they arrived tho. I can't even imagine....
My incubation last time didnt go so fantastic tho either. $200 and the thermostat was wonky. My older hens that no longer lay just Looooooove to sit on other peoples eggs. Think I might just leave them to it.
Wish you the best f luck!

Is Patsy a bantam? She just might be to little for the other chicks. You should try and find her a companion. She won't like being by herself. Chicks that are shipped in that small of a batch don't have a very good chance. Most hatcheries will require an order of a least 25 chicks so that they keep each other warm and alive. I still seem to loose some each time. I don't think it matters which hatchery you order from either.

Quote:
Hi..No, not Bantams..They were mixed large breeds I think she is a Welsummer..(although she is super tiny!) I will be calling them I am just waiting to get the final tally, I also thought I read they are safe to be shipped to my area with 6 because I paif for the Express which was supposed to be next day (which is wasn't and also they didn't have any sort of heat pad)..I mean i understand there is always some loss with chicks, and it's stressful for them..But really 5 out of 6 runts?
Yikes..Not good..

Can I put her in the Bator for a bit until I can figure out how to make her a little area to keep her safe? What kind of comapanion? any of the others are too big and will trample her..

I know she shouldn't be alone she hates it! so I put her in with them and just watch and then swoop in if she falls..she just loves being in there..She stands but she's just real weak..

Quote:
Yes..Been making her drink when she will let me give it to her..And when I calm down I will call them..I have to seperate her she will be killed if I dont..
sad.png
Thanks for the good thoughts!!)

That's so sad. I had a little one I'd hatched that kept falling and seemed to weak to survive. I kept it in the incubator for 4 days with a little food and pedalite (childrens...I use it for everything...lol). Well, after 4 days and some extra rest he was perky and walking well. He is now about 12 weeks and in with the others...although a little smaller he made it. I just put paper towels down to keep the mess to a min in the incubator. It worked great for me. Good luck!

Quote:
Ok great! Thank You so much! Now, this chick is about 5 days old..Is that OK? And vents on the Bator open right? Could I ask what did you have the Temp/Humidity Set at?

This is sooo sad and has me wondering if somebody at MPC forgot to put the heat pack in your shipment box? I have a pending order from them and was wondering how it was even possible to ship chicks it says that there is a heat pack sent with them. I think somebody there messed up and your poor chickies were the victims of their mess up.
sad.png

Quote:
Bastards!!!..they have those deaths on their hands..I am so ticked. I see that they open at 11 I will be calling today..Please stay on their ass so this does not happen to you and your babes..

Back
Top Bottom