Shipped Egg Question

So how many eggs exactly are you putting under each hen?

I'm expecting 12 eggs to arrive in two parcels. I'm planning on sitting them pointy side down for 24hrs to let the air sac settle. If I find that some do and some don't, then I'll just put the fixed air sac eggs under the broody. If none fix themselves, then I'll probably try all of them for a week because I've got nothing to lose.

But even in a warm climate, how many chicks do you think a hen can realistically raise?
Okay...the hen that I am using to raise the chicks is a white wyndotte. She's pretty big and fluffy so I know she wouldn't have problem with chicks. Now realistically I think she can raise anywhere between 15-22 chicks. My grandparents had hens that raised 20+ chicks before and they didn't have a problem. But if all of sudden if I get a really good hatch rate and I see that one hen won't be able to raise them, then I'll see if I can make something for the other hen to raise her chicks.

Wow, I wonder what the record is for chick raising? I can't imagine 20+ chicks all getting enough care and attention. But good luck to you. Sounds like you've got a plan B just in case.

Back
Top Bottom