Shipped Eggs and Hatch Rate

you should expect that it will occupy your thoughts MOST of the day! Dont worry about forgetting to turn them...if you are like me you will be waiting outside the incubator watchign the clock for the time when you are ALLOWED to turn them!

Such fun!

Aran- you're such a hoot! Step away from the 'bator!!!

On the subject of shipped eggs- I've had one hatch (this a.m.) out of roughly 3 dozen. Some were clear, some showed blood rings. I have a great hatch rate on local eggs, though. I sure wish I was one of those that can say they have great hatch rates on shipped eggs- there's a ton of breeds I'd love to have that only seem to be available as eggs.

AF...out of 11 eggs we have 7 that have embryos visible at day 6!!!!! Cant see much of anything in the other 4 but its early days yet!

bummer! one of the eggs which had what i thought were veins inside it looks now to have two large rings inside instead...probably no good huh?
One of the other ones in the 7 i thought were good is also less convincing today. Certainly I can see the little embryos wiggling around in the other 5 good uns and I dont know about the remaining 4 eggs...i think they are also no good. We will see though.

There is a farm about 20mins away from me advertising silkie chicks so I have emailed them to see if they have eggs also...I would like to end up with 6-10 silkies at the end of this but really wanted to hatch em myself.

"Aran"
When are your eggs due to hatch? It just so happens I have 11 silkie eggs in my incubator too! Mine are due to hatch on July 12th. I candled mine yesterday (day 5) and a few of mine had good veins going on.
I have 6 white eggs (from white silkie) and 5 tan eggs (from splash silkie) it's a little difficult for me to see much in the tan eggs because of the darker shell and because I'm a rookie at this ha ha.
I'm hoping for at least 6 also (don't want to get my hopes up)
Looking forward to hatch day. I get butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it!!

mine are due to hatch july 10th and i know this is just too cool! There is definitely 5 going great in my bator, 1 that has the big rings inside i think may be bacterial ( just from looking at pics online)--> will see what happens in the next 2-3days, and the other 5 i cant really see much of anything in there..they are tan also so i guess we will wait and see.

Just let them rest for a good 8 hours before you set them. 16 hours is not to much. They need to settle after the long trip before you start the process of incubation.

I have just hatched 9 out of a batch of 12, 2 out of a batch of 6! 11 chicks in total, all on day 20/21
wee.gif

I'm giving up now for the season.........incubator has been promised to neighbour to hatch guinea fowl eggs - he runs his own traffic calming system!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom