shipped eggs broke

I candled them but didnt put them in any way special. I don't think it really matters cause there are 7 in there turning them every which way. Unless I was suppose to do something different? Thank

So they started hatching yesterday, how long till I should check the ones that have not piped? there are 2 that are piped as of now and 6 that have done nothing that I can see. I really want them all to hatch but even if they don't I still have 21 out of 36 for my first time, which is close to what I was shooting for. Im not counting shipping eggs because in my opinion that's a crap shot, I spent 10 bucks on 36 barnyard mix eggs and around 60 on 24 eggs shipped. I don't think a person could sell eggs shipped for more than $.50 each and feel like they were fair about it. Just my opinion, all the ones I got had detached air cells and the yokes were scrambled. The air cell not reattaching may have been my fault but not the scrambled yokes, nor was it the shippers but man. Just vary disappointed about it, really wanted some Easter eggers. I would much rather hatch my own but don't think I will be able to find any in my area. I would like to find some Delaware's and Hampshire's also so if there is anybody with in 50 miles of Freeport IL 61032 let me know pls. Thanks to everyone, you guys rock

P.S. no pun intended to ppl that ship eggs just venting a bit, sorry

I hatch my own eggs or friend's near by eggs and I spend too much time worring about the eggs that didn't hatch. check them by air cell up when ready go slow. but enjoy the birds you have.

yeah the ones I have are all kinds of colorful. My daughter wants to hold one so bad but I wont let her open the bator. I think I should wait till tomorrow tho, but am worried if I wait to long it would be a lost cause. idk, I think I am going to do another batch in a month or so, I want 20 for the freezer this year and enough hens to have eggs also. plus a couple roos to get the hens fertilized for next years batch. I really want some dels and hamps to c if they are any better than the old barnyard mix I got. I am more after the meat than the eggs and don't want to buy 3 dollar chicks all the time. If the Cornish x is the same as the store bought stuff then I should just buy it there. I cant justify the cost of feed and 3 dollar chicks for what the store sells meat for. I do support free range and organic and what not but my pocket cant. I like dark meat better anyway, white is just to dry in my opinion. And I know the math shows that its cheaper to feed out the Cornish x but I have free corn and a local mill has bags of mix I can add to it, I have access to a hammer mill also. I figured I can make my own feed for about $.15 a pound, and it will be 18% protein. Here I go again rambling on, I guess im looking for improvements on my plan, if there is any. thanks

Back
Top Bottom