SHIPPED EGGS HATCHING-AIR CELL ON THE WRONG END

nchls school

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
I have a few Ancona eggs that have internally pipped last evening; all but one this morning. The egg that hasn't internally pipped is alive. The air cell is at the pointed end, and it would seem that the duckling's bill is not. Normally, with shipped eggs, that have been so badly disrupted by shipping, I put air holes in the rounded end to ensure the chicks/ducklings do not suffocate for lack of O2 and assist when the time is right. If I am correct and the bill is not positioned near the air cell, making an air hole will do no good. Unless the duckling can externally pip, quickly, it is doomed. This is the first time this has happened for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Are you still seeing movement? Maybe trying drilling the tiniest safety hold you can on the large side of the egg. Do you have a picture of the egg candled?
A picture would show the air cell at the pointed end with no evidence of internal pipping, like the other eggs. When the eggs begin external pipping I plan to do as you suggest. I still hope the duckling will be able to externally pip even though its likely at the wrong end; I've seen it happen in the past; though most DIS. This duckling I hope to save, so I continue to monitor the situation closely and do what I can.

I was correct in my assumption that the duckling's bill was not positioned near the wrong end air cell. Candling never showed any sign of internal pipping. This morning the duckling had made enough of a push on the shell to bulge it outward, but not enough to pierce the shell membrane. It was a simple matter to slit the membrane and allow air to enter. Alive and well, the duckling now has a good a chance at survival as the rest. Now to be patient and wait for the right time to assist. I don't think any will hatch on their own as the egg contents were badly disrupted during shipping. I am amazed any Ancona eggs developed at all-a bit of a miracle!

Back
Top Bottom