Shipped eggs predicament.

Waddlewoods

Chirping
May 8, 2023
I've ordered some rather pricey shipped duck eggs from the other side of the country. They were shipped on Monday, tracking said Tuesday but then never showed. I received a notify this morning (Wednesday) that they were out for delivery but at 6pm got a notification that it was delayed due to disruption. Spoke to Purolator and they should be here tomorrow.

My predicament is that I want to let them sit for 24hrs to settle after shipping but if I do that then they will be hatching on a weekend when I'm not around (obviously not ideal).

Should I just wait until Sunday to set them so that they hatch when I'm around? By then it will be 6 days since they shipped. They were fresh eggs.

I am planning to incubate them upright for the first week or more so do they still need 24hrs to settle? I once read a post that if you incubate upright you can just put them right in the incubator but I can't find it now.

Thank you!!

I've learned you should always try use them no older than two weeks, although I've done it. The hatch rate starts declining when they get over two weeks, but it wasn't that much really.

I think you're good to just let them sit and settle longer than usual at room temperature.

Back
Top Bottom