Shipping ducks

Lettuce is 90% water,,,so 2 head lettuce, maybe some chopped cabbage...cucumber for sure.

Hope they won't be stranded in a warehouse for a day or 2....then back on a truck for 2 days. In fact, I'd tell the customer to wait till AFTER New Years when there was a better chance of a shipment going straight thru with no delays from all the holiday travel and snow.

Might practice and see if the bird CAN live on very little for a day and see how she does..

Quote:
Cucumber is a good one, its like watermelon with a hard rind that they love to chew and a soft wet center. You might want to experiment first and throw a whole one in their pen to see how long it last and IF they can break into it.

Lettuce is also good...90% water. The heavy whole leaves last longest. They contain plenty of moisture but they are harder so it takes the ducks longer to eat thru them...
The key here is to find what will last for 24 hrs....and to have the birds WELL fed when they go in the container so they don;t gobble their sac lunch immediately.

I'd definately try a couple different things in the pen to see what works and how long it might last. I'm thinking a whole 'cumber or squash. I might try myself just out of curiousity.

Hope this helps.

I hope this is for sometime after the holiday travel/shipping madness settles. Right now there is no assurance of anything being shipped and arriving on time with weather and the simple number of packages being sent thru the system thru all carriers...This is "time sensitive" obviously.

Last edited:
Ya'll really are getting off the point. Shipping ducks isnt that big of a deal. I have shipped many and recieved many. Dont stress it they will be delivered in 1 day unless PO gets lost or something . They can withstand 3-4 days. Get your box put some bedding in it , Put the ducks in it, I always drop a handful of lettuce in ( no you arent supposed to but a handful will be gone the next morning) Take to PO around 3-4 so they leave out that night and dont sit around all day waiting to go. Done deal
smile.png
)

Good Luck and hope all goes smoothe for you onehorse

Do you have to have special forms to ship at the post office? and how would you ship them like a 2-3 day priority mail or express or what? Do you just print off a shipping lable or does it involve special postage or something? Would you do day olds like this also? I've never shipped birds before, but was kinda looking into it for the future.

Quote:
Actually to be legal you need to be NPIP and forms are required. Not all people do things the legal ways but I personally recommend every one does. There are reasons for the laws and paperwork involvled
Not supplying proper documents and permits can get you in alot of trouble and without them there is no way of knowing what you are getting or selling is from a flock in good health.
Yes you have to take the birds to the PO whether day olds or older. They have to be shipped express. Thats the only accepted method by the PO and the only consiously correct way to ship live birds. They would go through entirely to much hardship and would be inhumane to try otherwise. The reason they dont want you putting feed or water in the boxes is because of spillage or spoilage which can happen in the delivery process. I am one of those over protective type is the only reason I put a small hand full of lettuce in with older birds. Just cant seem to get past them having nothing for 24+ hours.

...you;re probably right...about stressing too much over it.
To me, it just seems like it would be a brutal trip for the birds...I keep getting this visual of the American Tourister luggage commercial where they
had a gorilla (comparing with a baggage handler at the airport) throw and stomp on their suitcase....

I've seen the way the UPS and Express mail people will throw boxes around. I worry that a label indicating LIVE ANIMAL would be ignored....But knowing the way exotic birds are often shipped in tubes so their wings are secured....I guess I'm giving the birds too much credit. To them, when its over its over...unlike us where we'd be making all sorts of noise about a bumpy ride...
big_smile.png

I have to say though,
If I EVER saw a delivery driver drop, toss or abuse a box that was labeled.....there would be an instant problem. Eye for an eye kinda guy.

Back
Top Bottom