Shipping eggs in.Does it work?

welcome-byc.gif

I have had 8 out of 12 eggs hatch ( call duck eggs )
I have had 12 out of 13 Silver Sebright eggs hatch
I have had 0 out of 13 Golden Sebright eggs develop ( i think they were x-rayed)
I have had 3 out of 12 delware chickens hatch.

It all depends on the kind of egg, how far they were shipped, the weather, how your bator is running and so on. If you get a 50% hatch, you are doing great. Just my thoughts..........Good luck...............

I have had zero to about 90% hatch rate, and get this the best hatch I had was some that was in the mail system for 6days, weird.

Well, there are a lot of variables in shipping eggs.

1) Fertility--can be an issue shipped or not
2) Packaging
3) USPS
4) USPS
5) USPS
6) USPS

Hmmmmm, I don't think I left anything out......Did I say the Post Office?

Oh yeah 7) USPS.

I had 28 eggs shipped to me, 6 had broken air cells and 6 never developed. Was this due to shipping, I can't swear to it but....

I just checked my Silkies that were shipped to me tonight and they are showing some veins. It's only day 3 so we'll see how they really do... But I'd say a few probably won't even have a chance...

I got eggs shipped to me today and of the 14, 2 had broken air sacs and weren't good. Of the rest, half look good and the other half look good-ish. I'll let you know the hatch rates when it's all over, but I'm using a broody instead of a bator so you get to toss that variable in there as well.
smile.png

I'm no expert- not at all- I have 13 chicks- only one that I've hatched myself, who is now 10 days old.
I was shipped 15 eggs from Florida (I'm in Maine)
Perfectly packaged.
6 of the eggs were broken in the box (don't ask me how--- they were so well packed- I think the USPS played kick-box that day)
2, I later found, were actually broken, but such fine cracks I didn't notice until I candled them.
I have no idea how to check to see if air sacs are intact, so don't know if they were or not.
Incubator (still air LG) spiked and dropped temps several times
AND, it was my first hatch.
1 chick hatched on day 21, and nothing else.
As far as I'm concerned, it was a super result considering all the odds were against this hatch.
I do say, I blame the USPS for most of the failure, however!

well I am not good enough yet to tell which eggs are ok and which are not so I guess I will put them all in there and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom