Shipping eggs in winter

I shipped a dozen eggs (for eating) to my brother in San Diego the week before Christmas. Weather was wicked up here in Minnesota with night time temps dipping below zero, not figuring wind chill. I put a 24 hour heat pack in the box (away from the eggs) and sent them Priority with USPS. They got there in 2 days and were all fine. I got my heat packs through someone that sells them for the aquarium hobby for shipping fish and live plants.

If I'm not mistaken special handling can only be added to regular mail. It is supposed to be included for Priority and Express packages. I'll see if I can find the link from their site. So, if they charge you it on a Priority pkg, they are charging for a service that should already be there and included in the extra cost for that service.

They charge extra for all methods as I understand, though possibly it is included in express. It means hand transfer not by machine. That means they can't use a spear or pitchfork which I swear they have done on some of my priority packages
somad.gif
The member who submitted info this works for the post office. Mine went Priority and "special handling" was an extra fee. This is an experiment. We will see if it was worth it.

You are right, I checked and the site now says special handling can be added to Priority pkgs. Maybe it was just included with Express. It is interesting though, that it also states you do not need to purchase spec handling if the box is marked Fragile. I think most folks ship their eggs marked Fragile and they still don't get treated any better. I doubt 'special handling' will be any different. Sometimes you get lucky and they're handled really well and other times their not. I think it just depends on who is handling those boxes and what mood they're in that day. Who knows. http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/extraservices/specialhandlingservice.htm

Ordinary packages containing breakable or fragile items do not need special handling if they are packed with adequate cushioning, and the word “FRAGILE” is marked clearly on the outside.​

Bwaaahaaaahaaaa.... Marking it fragile is like a laser beam directing them to abuse it. I am not kidding. My Postmaster advised against it. He is convinced there is some (or more than some) lunatic along the line that gets perverse pleasure out of drop kicking fragile packages. I've had plenty of damaged ones. One can only find out about the special handling option by giving it a try. And as to the Express? I think they sent my one batch of eggs to Cordova. The irony will slay me.

Quote:
The USPS will NOT pay for broken eggs only lost one. I have shipped eggs, 4 years without ONE broken egg!!!! I alway mark the box fragile on all sides and top. Trick is in the packing..

As long as the eggs are not frozen, they will be ok, I have hatch eggs from a fridge. best if above 40 degrees and lower than 60 degree

Quote:
People at the sporting good store said the hand warmers are not effective unless handled. That they won't stay warm on their own. There are supply companies that have uni-heat packs that once activated can stay warm for varying hours... 40 hours, 60 hours and 72 hours are the ones that I saw....

Just passing through looking for why some egg hatchers cannot ship to VA, SD or some other state...

Quote:
People at the sporting good store said the hand warmers are not effective unless handled. That they won't stay warm on their own. There are supply companies that have uni-heat packs that once activated can stay warm for varying hours... 40 hours, 60 hours and 72 hours are the ones that I saw....

Just passing through looking for why some egg hatchers cannot ship to VA, SD or some other state...

Heat packs would do more harm than good.......best to keep them cool

I don't ship to VA because flock has to be tested 30 day b4 shipping, my birds are not tested monthly, don't think many are.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom