Shipping eggs-real popcorn?

rarebreedeggs4u

Songster
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
Morrow, AR
Is there any reason that instead of using styrofoam peanuts that I couldn't use air popped real popcorn for packing material. It's renewable, the receiver could feed it to their birds...and pros and cons that you guys can think of?

I do think it would break down a bit in shipping though...hmmm

I don't use packing peanuts to ship eggs and I wouldn't use real popcorn either. I think it allows the eggs to shift around too much. I want them firmly nestled in so they can't move at all.

Last edited:
Hot air or oil popped?
pop.gif

I'd say air popped. What I was thinking if if the eggs were wrapped, in egg cartons, padded with papers or popcorn *in* the carton, then the cartons were sealed and then the popcorn was used as padding all around. I'm trying to think of a way to make it more economical and more green
smile.png

Seriously.... I think I'd have a problem with feeding the popped corn to my flock not knowing what other chemicals or fumes may have been absorbed during transit. I know you'd probably seal it up tight....I'd still have reservations. I woulod more likely put it into the compost pile. But I also shred newspaper and cardboard into the pile too.
My other fear would be that it might allow too much shifting during shipping. I once shipped a sewing machine in popcorn. Burned up my hot air popper!
somad.gif

I use it to ship Electronic parts, Optics... should work well for eggs.
I bought a cheap Vaccum wrapper from Wal-Mart, if you V.W. the popcorn into pouches, custom sized to your box, it doesn't breakdown and it is easy to fit it to any size!

That could be a problem, but at least it *could* be composted. I hate getting stuff in the mail and filling up a garbage bag of packing material. It just seems so wasteful and reusing things for hatching eggs is just not an option
hmm.png

I might have to just try it and see. I could send eggs to my sis and have her turn around and send them straight back to me (1 day usually each way) and just see how they do.
smile.png

I don't like eggs packed in something loose like that. It seems no matter how well someone stuffs the box they still shift. I prefer crumpled up or shredded paper or solid styrofoam sheets to take up the extra space. Usually I pick a box just big enough for the number of eggs in cartons I'm sending or I wrap an extra loop of bubble wrap (I bought really thick stuff in bulk rolls off amazon) so that my bubble wrapped cartons nearly touch the sides of the box. Then I stuff crumpled up paper around it. I have yet to receive eggs in good condition that used packing peanuts and I know some people that go so far as to just pitch the box and eggs if they open it and find packing peanuts.

Back
Top Bottom