shipping eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by barnyard critters, Mar 9, 2008.

1. barnyard critters

barnyard critters Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2008
    Alberta
    we are in north central Alberta. There is only one hatchery that I am aware of and they have Ameraucana, Buff Orpington, Dark Brahma, Australorps, Rhode Island Red for heritage birds. We would like to some other varieties. What details do I need before I consider ordering eggs and having them shipped? I do believe air mail is likely our only option?
    Wendy

2. chickalator

chickalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2008
    Senoia Georgia
    if you can, see if there are more people near you that have chickens, theymay have some differrent chicks.

3. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have a answer, but I know a breeder in Alaska who doesn't ship her eggs anymore because they just don't survive the flights. You're nowhere near Alaska, of course, so you may have much better luck. But in general, this breeder told me that, the more they fly, the worse the hatch rate. [​IMG]

Good luck, I hope you find something that works out great for you! [​IMG]

4. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    There are a lot of breeders in Canada, post on the buy trade board for other Canadians, I am sure that you will find someone that can help you find in country breeders. Have you looked at Ebay Canada?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by