Shipping full-grown birds ? ! ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mmaddie's mom, Apr 28, 2011.

1. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

This opportunity just came up this morning!

Has anyone had any experience with shipping adult birds across the country?

I have the opportunity to get some wonderful Bantam birds from California... to Illinois...

Should I even consider this? Is is reasonably safe for the birds? Who is the best for doing this? Am I crazy?

We will be flying back on American Airlines and I will be checking within the week to see if I can, maybe, ship them on our same plane? This would be my first choice.

If this won't work, we are considering shipping.

Thoughts?

2. mmaddie's mom

Is anyone driving from San Francisco area to Central Illinois towards the end of May? Just thinkin'.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yes you certainly can ship birds! I've shipped birds to NY and other neighbor states.

First get NPIP if you haven't or vet papers on the birds being shipped. Once they have the green light to ship and healthy, you are ready to go.

Call the USPS to verify shipping routes and the birds has to go Express ship, not Priority.

Within the hour before PO ship the birds to their destination, put a bit of shavings, some cut up apples or grapes, two apples or a lb of grapes would be good for two, maybe three days on the road, (good idea for them to acclimate them to that food before you take them on the trip), and kiss your bird and put the bird in the box and zip lock. Double check the address and give two numbers, home and cell phone numbers of both you and the new owner or the person supposed to pick up the bird on the other end.

Afix your address and NPIP or vet papers on the box, tape it all around so in case it does not get wet. Be sure to get tracking number on that box too!

It is so easy to do it.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Most flights out from San Francisco would end up one of the three places that I know of.....Chicago, springfield, St Louis but rarely Peoria (which I had some birds from OR) and they can truck them all the way at your town. If you can have them stop at Peoria airport, and hold the birds there so you can drive there, it would be much better because sometimes it would take them half a day from Peoria to Decatur, probably less than Elmwood. That way it is less stress.

5. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    I have never heard of anything but trouble shipping poultry via air freight.

USPS requires a special box to ship in.

http://www.hm-e.net/

USPS - We ship expensive adult exhibition chickens and ducks like this all the time. Fighting chickens are also commonly shipped this way and they are typically even higher priced. That speaks to the sufficiency of the service.

6. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I got my rooster when he was a teenager in the mail a BYC member sent him to me I paid shipping $50 but he was worth it I love my rooster.

7. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    It is pricey to ship so you have to make sure the chickens are worth it. Had a lady willing to ship me some really nice Marans if I paid the shipping. No charge for the birds. I about croaked on the price of the boxes plus shipping. Hope you get it all figured out!! Good luck!

8. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    We do a LOT of shipping...prices have skyrocketed and are totally insane now. You better be REALLY sure they can make it and will be worth it.

9. mmaddie's mom

Thank you all for the good info.

What it seems to boil down to is "Yes" it can be done safely for the birds... I just need to weigh the cost against the want of doing it.

thanks again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by