Shocked!

All of these stories reminded me... I have a son who has little (just a little) interest in the chickens, but he always thought it was cute to see the birds chasing each other around over a worm when they were younger. I found a toad in the garden and convinced him it would be entertaining if he threw it in the run of our 9 week old chicks.. One bird grabbed it and swallowed it in one gulp. It wasn't very entertaining after all.

I hate dealing with mice so I call my giant rooster and he takes care of them for me lol. It is totally normal for chickens to eat snakes, but if it was a baby snake you saw watch out for any more nearby.
We've seen several babies, but we've never once seen an adult. They're all non venomous, though. It's very rare for there to be a dangerous snake in our part of the state.

One morning I went down to let the flock out before coffee. One of the pullets was off to the side acting funny. I walked over just in time to see her swallow a good sized garter snake, spaghetti-style like you described.

It was the first time I'd seen a chicken catch a snake, and she looked so happy. As I was thinking, "Way to go, supplementing your protein!" and "Welp, probably going to have to worm you birds soon," I suddenly realized there was a copperhead a foot away.

I was so terrified the pullet would go for that delicious danger noodle next, I froze up. Finally found my voice to tell her to back off (and she did!) and yell for DH, who swooped in to save us, like he always does. Not my finest moment.

These days I always drink coffee before heading to the coops.
"The delicious danger noodle"! I love that!!!! Holy crap though! I think you did pretty darn good actually. I love that she backed off. I have a couple who would listen like that....and many who wouldn't.

I had a broody that took exception to the very presence of a squirrel - she chased that thing allllll over the (very large) run, would corner it, rip chunks out - when it finally found it's small entry hole to escape, it had several chunks of flesh hanging out.
Holy crap! That's both sad and awesome!

All of these stories reminded me... I have a son who has little (just a little) interest in the chickens, but he always thought it was cute to see the birds chasing each other around over a worm when they were younger. I found a toad in the garden and convinced him it would be entertaining if he threw it in the run of our 9 week old chicks.. One bird grabbed it and swallowed it in one gulp. It wasn't very entertaining after all.
Your son would probably like my rooster. He's about 2 months and a week or so, so he's about half as big as he will be (though not half as heavy yet). He is so freaking spoiled that the last time I was sitting out in the yard with them while they were running around and eating a plum, he started begging at my feet. When I didn't give him a piece fast enough, he jumped up on my knee and started complaining loudly. He's such a dork. I love that chicken.

"The delicious danger noodle"! I love that!!!! Holy crap though! I think you did pretty darn good actually. I love that she backed off. I have a couple who would listen like that....and many who wouldn't.
Yes, it's lucky she's one of those English-speaking birds!

I wish we could say venomous snakes were rare in our area. Our puppy had a close call with a timber rattler a couple weeks before that, and I bricked that situation, too. Luckily the puppy listened as well as the chicken and avoided being bitten, and DH was there and saved the day again. Gotta get that man a cape.

One morning I went down to let the flock out before coffee. One of the pullets was off to the side acting funny. I walked over just in time to see her swallow a good sized garter snake, spaghetti-style like you described.

It was the first time I'd seen a chicken catch a snake, and she looked so happy. As I was thinking, "Way to go, supplementing your protein!" and "Welp, probably going to have to worm you birds soon," I suddenly realized there was a copperhead a foot away.

I was so terrified the pullet would go for that delicious danger noodle next, I froze up. Finally found my voice to tell her to back off (and she did!) and yell for DH, who swooped in to save us, like he always does. Not my finest moment.

I’m from Kentucky, but I’ve lived in northern Ohio for 10 years now. My friends and neighbors will never understand my avoidance of ponds with water snakes or why I kick debris out in front of me while on hikes. There are no poisonous snakes up here. But the habits die hard.
I have horrible memories of copper heads. And also swimming in a pond and seeing a snow white mouth swimming toward me... ugh. Shudder. 😖

Damn! Very poisonous snake, I'm glad nobody got hurt! Reminds me of that time a raccoon was laying next to the hiking trail and I stepped about 2 inches from it's face.

Back
Top Bottom