Shocked!

I feel bad for it as well....just not when it's in biting range of my ankle! We told people that were heading up the trail about it, and advised people with dogs to stay away. We called animal control but I'm not sur:rolleyes:e what happened to it in the end. If I lived in a snakely place I'd probably be dead already, so it's probably a good thing I don't :lol:
My ex was terrified of snakes. When one got into our garage once, I just reached down to pick it up by the tail and take it out. He yelped and just about tackled me to keep me from touching the snake. It wasn't venomous. They've just never bothered me. I'm the same way with spiders. I have a little handmade rehoming kit. I gently trap them and take them outside. Earwax freaks me out though....however there's little chance of me being surprised by some wayward earwax during a hike or during a middle of the night pee. At least I hope not.

My ex was terrified of snakes. When one got into our garage once, I just reached down to pick it up by the tail and take it out. He yelped and just about tackled me to keep me from touching the snake. It wasn't venomous. They've just never bothered me. I'm the same way with spiders. I have a little handmade rehoming kit. I gently trap them and take them outside. Earwax freaks me out though....however there's little chance of me being surprised by some wayward earwax during a hike or during a middle of the night pee. At least I hope not.
You picked it up by the TAIL?!? :eek: Didn't it bite you? I heard you're supposed to grab them behind the head lol
If you ever came across wayward earwax on a hike, I'd be deeply concerned lol

You picked it up by the TAIL?!? :eek: Didn't it bite you? I heard you're supposed to grab them behind the head lol
If you ever came across wayward earwax on a hike, I'd be deeply concerned lol
Nah - it didn't bite me. It wasn't venomous or aggressive. It really just wanted out of the garage, but didn't know the way. I've been bitten by a snake, but luckily I had very thick leather shoes on. I still felt it, though. Despite the fact that the fangs didn't quite reach my skin, the snake bit me hard enough that it actually hurt pretty badly. That unnerved me somewhat. The moment I encounter wayward earwax anywhere, I'm packing up the house and getting the hell out of Dodge. lol

We think that the raccoon was dying. It was just laying there, and I screamed so loud they could probably hear it in oregon, and it didn't do anything.

I haven't had many snake encounters. Only a few garter snakes. I just don't live in a snakey place.
@elphabafalls , this thread has been illuminating. It's bananas how many places don't have many snakes. So, you all don't have to look down every time you take a step in the summer? Or check for snakes coiled up in the nest boxes before you close up coops at night?

I'll also never look at squirrels the same way after @Shezadandy 's post. I'm out here trying to shoo squirrels away from the chicken yard, like, "No, turn back! It's no good in there!"

We don't have wild earwax in this region, so that's a plus.

@elphabafalls , this thread has been illuminating. It's bananas how many places don't have many snakes. So, you all don't have to look down every time you take a step in the summer? Or check for snakes coiled up in the nest boxes before you close up coops at night?

I'll also never look at squirrels the same way after @Shezadandy 's post. I'm out here trying to shoo squirrels away from the chicken yard, like, "No, turn back! It's no good in there!"

Not in my own backyard or most of the places I am in the summer. When on walks in the woods I keep an eye out, but just because I don't want to squish any of the tiny little noodle snakes. Snakes in the nesting boxes sounds TERRIFYING! You must be a brave soul to deal with that!

I've lived in a lot of states, but I was born and raised in Oklahoma. I came back here after my divorce. We do have rattle snakes, cottonmouths and copperheads here, but it's pretty rare for them to be in the Tulsa Metro area where I live. I've never seen one, and I've never heard of someone encountering one in their yard or house. So, no - we don't have to check for snakes. Where do you live? We've only had one squirrel in our backyard where the chicks because we only have Pear trees. They're not tall enough for the squirrels. I'm thinking about shooing them away if they do venture in, however lol. That mental image will forever be with me. If I encounter some wild earwax here, I'll know where to move. I'll gladly trade earwax for snakes.

Last night, a 2nd chick in our flock, Abbey, found a snake that was 6 or 7 inches long. After outrunning the other chicks and spending some time finishing off the snake, Abbey ate the whole thing. It took her a few tries because it was so large, but she's no quitter lol. You're right, though - it was awesome to watch! I loved hearing about Runa's adventure!! She's a beautiful girl.
That's awesome :lau good for her! Her persistence paid off!

Nah - it didn't bite me. It wasn't venomous or aggressive. It really just wanted out of the garage, but didn't know the way. I've been bitten by a snake, but luckily I had very thick leather shoes on. I still felt it, though. Despite the fact that the fangs didn't quite reach my skin, the snake bit me hard enough that it actually hurt pretty badly. That unnerved me somewhat. The moment I encounter wayward earwax anywhere, I'm packing up the house and getting the hell out of Dodge. lol
I don't want to ever be bitten by a snake. It must be extremely unnerving as well as painful. Venomous or not I'd probably pass out.

I don't want to ever be bitten by a snake. It must be extremely unnerving as well as painful. Venomous or not I'd probably pass out.
My school used to flood when there was a lot of rain. The flooding was so bad that people could literally water ski. There are pics of people doing it in my year book. During one flood, I was walking in water that was well above my waist. I felt a very hard pinch on the side of my foot. It was painful enough that I cried out. Flood water is very muddy, so I couldn't see what caused the pain. Later when I was taking off my shoes, I noticed two holes in the top of my shoe and two holes in the bottom. It had to be a pretty good sized snake to fit my entire foot in its mouth and still be able to bite down.

My school used to flood when there was a lot of rain. The flooding was so bad that people could literally water ski. There are pics of people doing it in my year book. During one flood, I was walking in water that was well above my waist. I felt a very hard pinch on the side of my foot. It was painful enough that I cried out. Flood water is very muddy, so I couldn't see what caused the pain. Later when I was taking off my shoes, I noticed two holes in the top of my shoe and two holes in the bottom. It had to be a pretty good sized snake to fit my entire foot in its mouth and still be able to bite down.
:eek: Things that are cool about this situation: Water skiing! Things that are not cool: flooding and snakes
That snake must have been HUGE! You're super lucky it didn't make it through the shoe!

Back
Top Bottom