Short run questions....

needmorechickens!

Songster
11 Years
Jul 2, 2008
West TN
I have seen several pictures of runs where the height of the run is only about 4 feet. How in the world do you get in there and clean it out?
I like the look of the 4 foot tall ones, but am trying to decide if there is a design to allow me to clean it more easily...any ideas or tips for building a run would be appreciated?
~Rebecca

If you have the money, make a roof that lifts up.

If not, hunch down with a long rake
smile.png
I'm only 5 1 so it works out

My run is only about 4 1/2 feet tall. The top of our run is wood framed, 1" x 2" welded wire. The top is built in two sections, each on hinges so I just lift them, prop them open, and clean away. Very easy to use and kept the lower profile I wanted.

rant.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
I HATE HATE HATE mine! Im 5'10 and our run is..around 4 foot tall. Its a temp. run made out of cattle panel and t-post. I hate cleaning out the run. I have to stoop over to do anything in there. I clean and refill the water dish everyday so Im always in the run. Building our new coop/run the run will be at least 5 foot tall. DH doesnt seem to see a problem with it
roll.png
but hes not the one cleaning it out and going in there everyday.

havi - that's what I was afraid of, having to bend over the whole time....

ChanceRider - thanks for the hinged roof idea! that sounds pretty good.

~Rebecca

Here's a pic I took this afternoon of our run with one of the hinged tops raised. There's a hinged support that drops down to keep the top open while I'm working inside. We're still finishing up the run and plan on putting some locking hasps on the tops to keep them secure from predators.

Pets122.jpg

That's what we did with our tractor that has a short run. The top of the run lifts up. It just takes the extra wood for the frame, plus hinges and hasp. The amount of wire is the same.

My husband kind of humored me when I designed it that way, but after it was built, he really liked it, too. We both have bad backs and he's something like 6'3". One day I found him happily standing up in the tractor run with the chicks milling around his feet and he said, "This is really nice!"
lol.png

Our big run on the main coop is a walk in. Either way works for me, as long as I don't have to be hunched over. I can't take that anymore. That's for the young and undamaged.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom