Should I add a blind?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by msviolaceous, Jul 3, 2011.

1. msviolaceous

msviolaceous Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Here's our coop:

[​IMG]

We live in a hot and humid client, and we know that certain irresponsible schmucks in this neighborhood let their dogs run loose on purpose. I'm worried that if a dog comes and chases them through the fence they will run until they get heatstroke. If a dog comes, will they hide in the coop? I was thinking of adding a section of plywood along the back of the fence behind the coop so that they can huddle there if something scares them, but I'd rather not block breezes if it isn't necessary. Would they think to go in the coop? Or would they realize the dog isn't getting through and huddle in the middle?

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    They'll run around like chickens with their heads cut off! [​IMG] Just kidding!

I bring in foster dogs all the time. My chickens don't pay the least bit attention
    to them even when they're jumping on the run wire. My back wall and one side
    is solid, I don't know if that gives them more sense of security or not.

If you didn't want to block air flow you could put a solid back and partial side
    only 1/2 way up.

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    My chicks have gotten used to our dogs. With a guide dog puppy in training, a therapy dog/pet in training (lab and Golden) and a boston terrier jack russell mix it was either get over it or be annoyed often. We also watch our friend's dogs (we can't say no, what's one more?) and have had various rescues as well. The chickens don't care.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

You should be fine but I would tarp the roof for shade and definatly skirt that run, dogs will dig under the bottom rail fast!

5. msviolaceous

msviolaceous Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Quote:It's skirted, the skirt is buried! And it's under a tree so there's a lot of shade.

6. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    My chickens run into the coop when a dog is in the alley behind the house.
    ( The coop is about 10 ft off the back fence and 6 ft off the side fence. The yard fence is 6 ft tall as is the run. Not sure why mine panic, maybe it is cause they are young. Maybe they are just chicken. [​IMG] )

7. dawj

dawj Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    When cats come around our girls go in the hen house and don't make a peep until cats are gone.

8. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Quote:Haha! My chickens beat the CRAP out of my cats! LOL The cat's are very intimidated by the chickens - it's pretty funny!

What a GREAT coop/run, msviola! You guys did a terrific job!

9. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Maybe it all depends on which animals the chicks were raised with. We've had our original girls since they were six weeks and the dogs have always been here. That and for guide dog training and bird distraction I take our guide dog puppy on a short leash to walk around the coop to get him over any interest in birds. This, I guess, has worked well for both species. Ha ha. My Boston mix just likes to eat chicken poop. LOL

10. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Question: Will a cat attack a fully grown chicken?

Answer: Only once. Cats learn very quickly.

[​IMG]

By the way, I would put more cover over that run. You and I live in the same super-heated part of the U.S., and even though it is under a tree the chickens can always
    use more shade.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by