Should I add another baby chicken

Kim_R

Chirping
Jan 28, 2020
Last Wednesday I got 3 9 week old chicks. I think one is being a bit left out . As it’s only been a week should I get another chicken to have 4. If I put the new one in the coop for a day to bond with the other one will that work ... or should I just stick with the three

Are these the only chickens you have?

If you put a new one in there's a chance they will all pick on the new one because it's been just those 3.

It's up to you if you want to add another to make it an even number. There are no guarantees that the other one won't be left out still.

Thanks. I think I’m just worrying a little early. They we all snuggled together last night before. I think your right. I’ll wait and see

Happy to say ..... after 2 weeks everyone is getting on just fine. Today for the first time my 12yo Mini sat right next to my 3 new girls in the yard .... was tricky to get a photo... but all four at snuggled together despite it being 32c

Attachments

• EB74730A-95CB-46C2-ACA3-98DBCACD21AB.png
    EB74730A-95CB-46C2-ACA3-98DBCACD21AB.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
Glad things are working out! You haven't said how much room you have, and that's important. Most folks here recommend a minimum of 4 sq ft per hen in the coop, and 10 sq ft per hen in the run. Less room than that can lead to hens bullying one another, or one or more hen being unable to sleep in the coop and being vulnerable to predators. Welcome to BYC and the wonderful world of chickens!

Glad things are working out! You haven't said how much room you have, and that's important. Most folks here recommend a minimum of 4 sq ft per hen in the coop, and 10 sq ft per hen in the run. Less room than that can lead to hens bullying one another, or one or more hen being unable to sleep in the coop and being vulnerable to predators. Welcome to BYC and the wonderful world of chickens!

thanks that’s great info . I have a very large back yard and the run is large. I leave them to have the run of the whole yard, that way if it’s raining like today they can head under my back veranda. They do spend most of their time down the back in the fenced area

Attachments

• 66566104-106E-45F8-A951-DF5D8FB07624.jpeg
    66566104-106E-45F8-A951-DF5D8FB07624.jpeg
    788.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom