Should I add flooring/bedding to coop floor?

That's 2 recommendations for Blackjack 57. Wow! Ok, I think I'll paint it for protection. How long do I have to keep the birds out of there to dry/off-gas. Not sure where they will lay or roost during this time...
Make sure to read the Technical Data sheet here - https://blackjackcoatings.com/products/black-jack-rubr-coat-57 - note the temperature and weather condition recommendations for application.

It doesn't really have noticeable fumes compared to many paints, so off gassing shouldn't be a huge issue, but it does take a while to dry, and you will need a second coat (first coat will look thin and patchy). Depending on weather/temperature it can stay tacky for 1 to several days. I think I waited 7? days before adding a second coat, but I might've been able to do it sooner.

I did my Blackjack before I ever had chickens. I waited a day and then continued my build. But I didn’t put the birds in till several weeks later when everything was complete.

Straw will mold when wet and can cause health issues. I use hemp, it is super absorbent and you only have to replace it 1 - 2 times /year.

Any organic material can mold if it gets wet -- especially if it packs down into a mat. Straw has been used safely for animal bedding for about as long as mankind has grown grain and kept livestock. It's fine as long as it's managed correctly. :)

Whatever bedding we use, we need to keep the coop DRY and the bedding fluffed up.

(Note: a deep litter system in a dirt-floored coop or run is different. It should be *moist*, but never *wet* and it's still necessary to ensure that the bedding doesn't pack).

Any organic material can mold if it gets wet -- especially if it packs down into a mat. Straw has been used safely for animal bedding for about as long as mankind has grown grain and kept livestock. It's fine as long as it's managed correctly. :)

Whatever bedding we use, we need to keep the coop DRY and the bedding fluffed up.

(Note: a deep litter system in a dirt-floored coop or run is different. It should be *moist*, but never *wet* and it's still necessary to ensure that the bedding doesn't pack).
100% agree

I put down a roll of linoleum and the cleanup is so easy! There are occasions that they move the bedding and poop ends up on the floor & it comes right off of the linoleum. 😊

Back
Top Bottom