should I adopt this turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Billy-jean, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Billy-jean

Billy-jean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Hi all,,
    I am in a position right now that I have been offered a 8 month old turkey,heritage breed. I have 3 ducks,4 silkies,2 geese and 2 call ducks,,,would adding a turkey in there complicate things? does anyone else have a turkey hanging out in their menagerie?? I would like to take him,but never had any experience with turkeys...

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I had a turkey running with my ducks and geese. They all did fine until the geese started picking on him.

3. Billy-jean

Jun 13, 2011
    Did you let everyone free reange? or were they in a fenced yard? mine will be fenced together,with ample space,and my 2 geese are out free ranging on the lawn for 4 hours every day..not sure what to do,,,,

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I raise mine with the chicks, have to put food in several places but everything goes well

5. Billy-jean

Jun 13, 2011
    Can I ask your set up? Do you need to provide roosts for nighttime? and has anyone had a problem with the disease called blackhead? I read about it and it scared me...they can catch it from wild birds,,,and it effects their liver,,but doesn't harm chickens or ducks. IO read not to let turkeys roam free range if they can come in contact with wild bids,,seems a bit nutts!! I still can't decide.......

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    They were in a fenced pen. I live in the city so free ranging wasn't a option for me.

7. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    I have heard some geese can be mean, I have African geese and they are not, but I free range and they put themselves to roost at night in the barns, but I have ducks, geese, chickens and turkeys and everyone around here get along fine. I feed them all together with an automatic deer feeder on a timer and by hand out of the sacks. I have well over 200 birds, with no cages or pens, just 2 barns and ponds on 5 acres! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    Another southern farmer :D all my birds are together too. no real issues but a mean rooster who now lives outside the pens lol

9. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Our turkeys and chickens live together. We've had a little sparring since the turkeys started mating and ganging up on the chickens so we built them a pen of their own that we can separate them in to if we need. Usually it isn't an issue. We don't keep them with our ducks because the drakes try to mate with the chickens and it can kill them. Don't think that would be a problem with turkey being bigger than them. When we had geese, our turkeys kept them in line with the flock even though the geese were not the nicest creatures.

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have about 250 critters that all live together with no problems. A little school yard bullying every now and then but nothing to worry about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by