Should I allow 2 drakes to "fight it out"?

Lydia makes a good point. It is essential that the loser have enough space to retreat from the victor. The only drakes that I have had fight 'to the death' have been muscovies. They just don't seem to give up.
So true sourland, years ago when I first started keeping ducks one of my Scovy drakes killed another and I was so paranoid about letting any work out their differences after that, but I am older and wiser and know that things just happen and They were not where I could get to them to stop it, [still living at the river] I call them mine but actually they were dumped drakes living at the river below our home, Since then I have learned to let them go at it and will only step in when one is relentless and so far that hasn't happened here. They both look like plucked ducks right now from pulling each others feathers out but thankfully they are going into molt so they will be handsome guys again soon.

Ok, my plan was to let them meet while free ranging. That way they should have plenty of room and neither of them will have the home advantage.
thumbsup.gif
Good idea. let us know how it goes.

Most drakes I see are mostly "wrestling" to see who is stronger or to see who is the boss. In some ways, it helps direct their hormonal energies. I think watching them is a good idea to make sure that the other doesn't go too far and cause injury or death. I've seen some mean drakes grab a hold of another male and not let go even when the other drake runs or swims away for several minutes. And, then, the drake will chase the other one for several minutes even when it's clear that the weaker drake is surrendering and trying to get away.

Ok, I put them together early this morning. They fought for about 5 minutes, then took a break, then fought for 5 minutes, then took a beak, and this continued for about 2 hours. They seemed equally matched and neither of them won. They just suddenly started hanging out together as a group. Hopefully they will stay peaceful.

Ok, I put them together early this morning. They fought for about 5 minutes, then took a break, then fought for 5 minutes, then took a beak, and this continued for about 2 hours. They seemed equally matched and neither of them won. They just suddenly started hanging out together as a group. Hopefully they will stay peaceful.
LOL now that's funny. and great news too. You'll probably see spats but hopefully things will remain peaceful
fl.gif

Quote:
They were peaceful for the rest of the day, so tonight they are locked up together in a little duck house. I'm praying that nothing will happen during the night.

I was expecting someone to win, but it really didn't happen that way. They had little fights here and there, but then they simply joined together as a group.

I

You house them together? i cannot do that here, i must separate my drakes at night, all well heck would break loose. I am having enough trouble as it is right now with my almost 6mth olds.

You house them together? i cannot do that here, i must separate my drakes at night, all well heck would break loose. I am having enough trouble as it is right now with my almost 6mth olds.
Do your drakes do well together during the day? Should I go put one in a dog kennel for the night?

Last edited:
Do your drakes do well together during the day? Should I go put one in a dog kennel for the night?

No, they don't really like one another, right now though with 2 turning six month olds drakes their attention has been re-focused lol but i still separate at night, they all house in the same barn, just i have mini stalls.

I am seeing a problem right now with the 3 from Mar, i have 2 drakes and 1 duck left from that clutch, the drakes are not getting on either, they are sharing a stall but clearly i am going to have to alter that as they are fighting too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom