Should i assist hatch?

BantammChick

I love my sebright!!
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 8, 2017
Missouri
I'm incubatung duck eggs right now, and last night around 6 I looked at my eggs in the incubator and I discovered that one had pipped. It still hasn't hatched or made much progress as of today. Should I try to get it out, or wait until morning?

I'm incubatung duck eggs right now, and last night around 6 I looked at my eggs in the incubator and I discovered that one had pipped. It still hasn't hatched or made much progress as of today. Should I try to get it out, or wait until morning?
I'd help it a little... Not fully hatch it. Maybe take off half the shell for it..

No problem. Let me know how it goes!
Okay I started at the pip and peeled off a little bit of the shell. It's bill was poking out and I could hear it cheeping! I picked off a little piece of the membrane and it started bleeding a little bit - will it be okay? I'm so scared I hurt it.

If he's pipped externally that means he can breathe regularly and could still be absorbing his yolk sack. Do you have any other eggs in the incubator? Personally I would wait til morning so you don't dehydrate any other eggs or that egg, but if you've already started by now and notice what looks like he's yawning or opening and closing his bill, thats him absorbing the yolk sac and is simply not ready to zip yet.

It's not too much, you can't really see it in the picture 20230326_222921.jpg

Back
Top Bottom