Should I assume my chicks are too warm?

Jennschics

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 11, 2014
North Mississippi
My chicks are in a huge plastic tub with a 250 red brooder bulb. They are 6 days old. 2 different thermometers say it is 80.2 degrees in the middle of the brooder. Lid is off.

Any who the chicks are sleeping towards the colder part by their food which looks to be about 79ish. Should I get a dimmer to lower heat?
Our house runs cold and if I turn it off I'm afraid they would get really cold. I took them out and let them wonder in the house but that lasted like 2 minutes before they started shivering.

Or leave them alone? They are okay maybe they just like it a tad colder?

I may be over thinking this.

#firstchicksever

Once mine got a week old they migrated away from the heat lamp. At two weeks I removed the heat lamp completely because they were sleeping at the opposite end. Mine simply prefer to huddle together for body heat than lay under the lamp.

Last edited:
My chicks are in a huge plastic tub with a 250 red brooder bulb. They are 6 days old. 2 different thermometers say it is 80.2 degrees in the middle of the brooder. Lid is off.

Any who the chicks are sleeping towards the colder part by their food which looks to be about 79ish. Should I get a dimmer to lower heat?
Our house runs cold and if I turn it off I'm afraid they would get really cold. I took them out and let them wonder in the house but that lasted like 2 minutes before they started shivering.

Or leave them alone? They are okay maybe they just like it a tad colder?

I may be over thinking this.

#firstchicksever
At 6 days old, the temp under the lamp should be 90 degrees. The chicks should be ranging around their space. If they huddle directly under the lamp, it is too cold. If they all press against the far wall as far from the heat as they can get, then it is too hot. If they look happy sleeping in different areas, then it is probably fine. Most chicks seem to like playing around in more room temp and just going to the hot spot to warm up now and again.

I keep my light at one end to provide a warm end and a cooler end and try to go by the recommendation of 90-95 under the light the first week and lowering by 5 degrees every week until it's at 75-80. I don't worry about where they are laying in the brooder as long as they are happy. They know what is comfortable to them and they will adjust farther or closer to the light depending on what they need for warmth. Now, if they are all bunched together under the light and still unhappy, you know it needs to be warmer.

Thank you! Now I have 2 under the light, 1 on the roost and 2 towards the colder part. I give up!

This is actually what you want to see. As long as they have enough room to get away from the heat they should be fine, they will go to it when they need to warm up, just as they would if they were hen raised. You can also get a cheap thermometer and check the temp under your lamp to make sure it's not overly hot in that spot.

Back
Top Bottom