Should I be concerned about GIANT egg?

jaredkopy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Fenton, MI
I collected eggs from my coop yesterday. I was shocked at how big one of them was. I cant even close the egg container when I put it in there. Curious, I grabbed my Kuhl egg scale to see what it actually weighed in at. Typically, my girls (black austorlops, sex links, rhode islands, EEs and susseks) will lay anything from small 1 1/2 oz to extra large 2 1/2 oz eggs. The extra large ones are very rare, they're typically small to medium size. Any whoo.. I set the giant egg on the scale and it bottoms it out. It's too big for it. Luckily I have another kitchen scale that weighs larger things. I set it on that and it weighed in at 4 oz. It made me wonder if there was an ostrich running around in my coop. There isn't. My initial reaction was excitement! Should I be worried though? All the girls seem healthy, no noticeable health issues. Has anyone else gotten eggs this big? This is my first season with chickens. Should I call Guinness Book of World Records?

I stopped putting creatine in their water months ago (just kidding, no drugs). My girls free range at least a couple times a week. They are 6 months old. They get only organic feed and have access to oyster shell whenever they want. If I knew how I would post a picture of the monster on this post.

My older girls routinely lay HUGE eggs. I feel SO sorry for them. Hard to sell the eggs because I can't close the carton. Part of the joys of home grown eggs, I assume! Enjoy!!!
big_smile.png

Nah I wouldn't worry about it. But 4oz is pretty huge! Better post a picture of that egg I love HUGE eggs! I'm NHs lay big ones every once in a while, they're all molting right now though.

Last edited:
I think I loaded a picture of it on my My Page but I'm very My Page unsavvy so I'm not sure if everyone can see it. Sometimes I cant find it.....

I wanna see! When you take the pic, please hold it up next to a normal egg or something so we can get a better idea of size.

Go to the uploads tab and upload your egg! Then wait for it to save and copy the image link into the forum text box so we all can see it! Put it next to a normal egg.

I'm going to assume your australorp laid that one. Same color as mine do plus its a big breed bird. Most likely a double yolker, maybe triple, if that's possible!

Back
Top Bottom