Should I be concerned with the wings on the Australorp chicks?

OilyChick

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2016
Northeast, Texas
I have 5 Australorps and 3 of them have this same way of "holding" their wings away from their body. I'm just wondering if this is normal for this breed? My other 2 have wings that are tucked alongside the body in the normal way. My other 10 chicks all normal too. They all came from the same breeder and all hatched within 2 days of each other.

I have read about "angel wings" deformation in geese which have to be splinted or something to help them grow right. I'm sure hoping this is not the case with these chicks!

I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you. I'm hoping someone with more experience will jump in here and help you out.

Are the chicks overheating? Are the wings malformed, or just the new feathers? If it's the feathers, so how they grow in the next molt. If it's the wing itself, that's different. It won't be as big a problem if they can't fly, compared to a wild goose. I've never seen this here. Mary

no not overheating but I accidentally started this same question in another forum instead of this one. Someone there said that they had a similar problem with some of their chicks and that it seemed as though the first feathers were the problem... which were sticking out funny but the wing was okay.

I'm starting to think mine are just a feather issue. I'm hoping after their first molt they will grow properly.

Back
Top Bottom