Should I be present when broody mama's chicks hatch?

talkingriver

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 22, 2010
Connecticut
My Coop
My Coop
I have a sweet broody Araucana who is sitting on six eggs from other layers. They're due to hatch Wednesday night if they're spot on schedule. Everything will be ready for arrival by tonight, but I work during the week so unless I stay home I'm likely to miss it. Aside from having a preference to be there (because who wouldn't?), isn't it important in case anything happens that needs intervention? And if they come in the nighttime, will she be awake enough to deal with them in the dark? Might sound silly, but should I put out a night light? I've raised chicks before but have never hatched them. Thanks to anyone for any information!

I have a sweet broody Araucana who is sitting on six eggs from other layers. They're due to hatch Wednesday night if they're spot on schedule. Everything will be ready for arrival by tonight, but I work during the week so unless I stay home I'm likely to miss it. Aside from having a preference to be there (because who wouldn't?), isn't it important in case anything happens that needs intervention? And if they come in the nighttime, will she be awake enough to deal with them in the dark? Might sound silly, but should I put out a night light? I've raised chicks before but have never hatched them. Thanks to anyone for any information!
Isn't it just toooo exciting when you have a broody getting ready to hatch chicks?!!! The plain and simple answer to your main question is no, you don't have to be there. Trust me, that broody will do just fine without any intervention from us 'human mama's' .. I wouldn't put out a nightlight at all. She's used to having it dark at night. She'll do just fine! I don't know about you, but you'll survive!! You'll probably come home from work one day and there they'll be, all cozy and warm under their mama. One thing...I wouldn't attempt to pick the chicks up for at least a few days...leave them alone. Your broody will let you know when it's okay to do that...don't want to upset the apple cart, eh?
D.gif

Good luck to you, and please DO post pics when you can...I'd love to see them!

iwiw60, Thanks so much for your reply. You put my mind at ease. Today might be the day! Or tonight. So much chick stuff going on here -- I have two six week olds that are going outside as soon as their shelter is finished. I'll be sure to post pictures!

iwiw60, Thanks so much for your reply. You put my mind at ease. Today might be the day! Or tonight. So much chick stuff going on here -- I have two six week olds that are going outside as soon as their shelter is finished. I'll be sure to post pictures!
Woot - WOOT!! Can't wait for the pics! Best of luck to you!!
wee.gif

I've got a hen on eggs that are due tomorrow so it could get real interesting at any time around here too. I don't care how many times you go through it, it is always exciting.

Hens have been doing this on instinct alone for thousands of years with no human intervention. Yes, bad things can happen, but bad things can happen in an incubator too. I find the less I interfere the less likely something bad will happen. I sure wish you good luck on your hatch.

Sure enough, the first baby hatched while I was at work. This one looks like Click and Clack, my six-week-olds, which we think are Araucana/Blue Orpington crosses. There was one blue egg among the clutch. So far so good!

Back
Top Bottom