Should I be Worried?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickenupho, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Chickenupho

Chickenupho Songster

Aug 28, 2018
    Hi!! After my chick incubation project, I've decided to try to raise a couple of chickens. It's nearly spring and my backyard has started flourishing with clovers, weeds, grass, and etc. However, my mom brought up at good point as we were discussing where we would possibly place our coop. About 2 years ago gophers dug their way into our yard, so we put up chicken wire and a lot of those gopher poison thingys. So, I was worried that if the chickens were to peck at the grass, would they possibly die??(sorry for my stupidity..:()

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm not certain what 'gopher poison thingys' are ? I'd determine what the active ingredient was and find out how long it remains viable in the environment. My gut instinct is that 'thingys' will cause no problem.

3. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    I agree with @sourland , I don't think there would be any residual in the grass after 2 years, and I don't think the plants are able to uptake it. Most mice, rat, gopher baits contain Warefin, a blood thinner. Makes the rodents hemorrhage to death.

4. ejtrout31

ejtrout31 Songster

Aug 13, 2018
    deer river mn
    I would say you should be fine if you know the type of poison used you can check to be 100% sure.

WannaBeHillBilly and Chickenupho like this.
  5. Chickenupho

Chickenupho Songster

Aug 28, 2018
    Thank you guys!

WannaBeHillBilly and ejtrout31 like this.
  6. CindyinSD

CindyinSD Songster

Congratulations on getting chickens!... not sure if chicken wire will keep gophers out, but it won’t keep predators out, in case you were thinking it would help protect the chickens.

WannaBeHillBilly and Chickenupho like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: