Should I be worried?!

jkl79

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Central TX
I just found wart-like, blackish bumps along the combs and wattles of two of my BO hens. I hold them daily and just noticed this, so I think it appeared overnight. They don't seem to be tender to the touch and both are acting normally. Please help!!!

Keep an eye on them, but I'd question if these are "bruises" from being bumped up against something. Perhaps washing them to see if its dried blood or discolored skin.
Good luck and keep us posted!

I'm positive that they are warts or pimple-like things. Thanks for the reply! If anyone has heard of this before, please let me know.

After reading more posts on BYC, I realize that they likely have dry pox (I HOPE it's not wet). I'll keep my fingers crossed that none get wet pox.

I wasn't aware of Avian Pox. Do most people vaccinate??

I didn't know about avian pox until all my birds got it. That's how I first found this website. Searching for the answers. It does sound like avian pox. I lost several birds because they became weak and the others picked on them. They did not get enough to eat and died. Watch out for this. Also, you will need teramycin ointment for their eyes. The pox will infect around their eyes and it gets really nasty. It can easily spread through your whole flock, as it did mine. As far as vaccinating is concerned, now that I know about it, I plan on vaccinating any new birds in the future. I don't like learning the hard way!

That's awful. I'm so sorry to hear what happened to your flock. How quickly did they get sores around their eyes? The two that have it only seem to have it on their combs and wattles and the sores don't look very irritated. Did it just continue to get worse and worse? I didn't see evidence of wet pox but I will be watching closely for that. I'm so scared to lose my flock. They are my pets
sad.png

Only 3 or 4 out of nearly 30 birds had pox on their eye(s). Just like the bumps appear on the comb, bumps can also appear on the eyelids and legs. You just have to watch the eyes. They will start to close them even before the pox appear. The two birds I lost, I think just didn't feel good and weren't eating. With all those feathers, it's hard to tell when they are getting thin. After losing those two, I was able to figure out when the others weren't eating enough and intervened. I wouldn't want anyone else to experience the same thing.

Mine have the same thing. I feel awful. I only have a few. Where can I ge the Teramyacin?

Will they die??

I've got one in the house now whose comb has a lot of black.
All of mine have the white spots. This one is the worst.

I put food in several places all over the yard and I've seen them all eat.

Back
Top Bottom