Should I borrow my neighbors hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sheeshshe, Oct 1, 2009.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    My neighbor waited and waited for eggs and nothing. She borrowed a couple laying hens from someone and within a couple of days her hens started laying eggs, witihn a few days 3 of her hens were laying.

I have 2 that have HUGE wattles and bright bright red and they make a ton of noise all the time acting like they're ready but never anything. Do you think I should borrow one of her laying hens to jump start them? Would it work? The ones she borrowed didn't stop laying when they were moved to a new home...

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Absolutely not. You risk bringing in disease to your birds and you cannot always tell if a hen is ill or a carrier of some disease. Not worth the risk at all. Plus that will stress them out and mess up the pecking order, causing fights with the newcomers.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Unless the borrowed hens are magic...

IME having egglayers around does nothing to encourage non-laying pullets.
    I have 3 pullets that lay almost every day and 1 that hasn't laid an egg YET. They will lay when they're ready.

4. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    They will lay when they're ready or.........they're hiding them somewhere???

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2009
  5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I can imagine (with absolutely no proof of course) how it might help to jump start some egg-laying, maybe. But the biosecurity risks are just way too great!

I like what rainbow eggs said: it might be that hen your friend borrowed simply showed her chickens WHERE to lay.

Please don't do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by