should I break up the flock

I say keep them...you've already invested a lot of time and money into them. If they still want them charge them $5 per bird, to cover you costs and time spent
tongue.png

I have learned when I get into a situation like this I make sure they know when they are expected to pick them up.

I once gave someone a foal (yes, gave it to them) I expected them to have picked him up by 8-10 months old, they were supposed to be finishing the fence, I just don't see why it was taking over a year to get a fence done. Finally after about 1 1/2 years they said they changed their minds, very frustrating.

I have 8 guineas I hatched for someone and their also buying some chicks, I told them they had to pick them up by the time the guineas are 4 weeks old, they are picking them up next weekend (the guineas will be 3 weeks and the chicks 4 weeks), and I think things will go as planned, but if not and they are still here by 4 weeks I will sell them to someone else (already have someone else interested in the guineas), and I won't feel at all bad about it.

However in your case since you didn't set any guidlines about when they had to be picked up I would ask if he still wants them and give him an amount of time to get them, if he doesn't show, they're yours! And I agree I wouldn't separate them until he came to get them.

If this "friend" has not made contact with you, I doubt that your chickens are going to be cared for the right way. It seems that someone just isn't very interested.

I'd keep them, but tell your friend his died.. since they hadn't been fed for the last 6 weeks...
lau.gif

Guess it'd depend how good of a friend it was. Lucky him, though, paying chick prices for point-of-lay pullets!

-Meghan

Back
Top Bottom