Should I build a new run???!!!

Pics
On our non hoop runs we set posts in cement and the 2x4's (we used 2x6's on the bottom) are to the outside of the posts.
My bantam coop while in process. I think you can see how we did the posts, 2x4's and roof in this picture.

IMG_20201006_140537.jpg

Last edited:
I calculated the cost of
(4) 4x4's: $57.88
(14) 2x4's: $54.37
Chicken wire (yes I will be using chicken wire) 48in.x50ft. L: $51.46
total: $163.71
Still deciding weather or not I will have a roof. I might just use a tarp.
These are all the main supplies. of course i might need some other things like hinges ETC.
I am also going to recount how many 2x4s that I need just in case.

I am currently making a drawing but I’m wondering if the corner posts and the support beams will be sitting on top of the bottom frame or if I will make cuts to go in between them?
There are many ways to construct things. With questions like these I would suggest you go toward less cuts and keep things simple. My suggestion is to look through lots of coop builds and other pics that reference stick-built construction in general, as they will tell a lot about how to frame your coop. I grew up in the home of a carpenter and have built many things, but I still spent a good while designing and refining my coop before I even considered buying materials....and there were still many trips to the hardware store!

I see your calculated numbers - sounds very low to me. What size is the structure you're making? Even at an 8x8 footprint, the amount of fencing doesn't sound like enough depending on how tall it is and whether or not you're doing the roof instead of solid roof. I would guess you'll end up at least double that once you factor in all the other materials and hardware you'll need for this project.

While you can make it any dimension you want, I would still consider basing it off standard dimensions of materials. That 5ft height for example only makes sense to me if using 10ft lumber and cutting in half; for fencing you'd be short with a 48" tall roll if going horizontal, or perhaps end up overlapping quite a bit with other sizes. Hope this makes sense

While you can make it any dimension you want, I would still consider basing it off standard dimensions of materials. That 5ft height for example only makes sense to me if using 10ft lumber and cutting in half; for fencing you'd be short with a 48" tall roll if going horizontal, or perhaps end up overlapping quite a bit with other sizes. Hope this makes sense
Yes this kind of makes sense. I didn’t think about cutting the 10 foot and a half. I will do some more looking into it. if anyone is really good at drawing sketches and measurements please please help me out!

Back
Top Bottom