Should I butcher or keep my drakes?

It's a poll! Ok!

I would make two separate flocks. 😃

Butchering isn't an option for me, though I know a lot of members do and I respect their choices. I'm sure a lot members think my choices are ridiculous.
Haha I agree with you too! I prefer keeping my drakes because my male is already happy with his 2 females

But my adult male is already happy with his 2 females. Wouldn't my other drakes be fine as well?
They may be. It depends quite heavily on the drakes.
What breeds are your hens, and what breeds are your drakes?
Generally a good ratio is one drake to every 5 or so hens. But again, it really depends on the drake. One of my drakes was very sweet and didn't cause any problems with just one hen.

I assume that different breeds could behave differently, such as the drakes being more aggressive, we have four runner duck drakes and seven runner hens, nine until a few weeks ago, that ratio seems to work. Would be interesting to hear others perspective.
@FlatRockDucks I can tell you in a few months since 2 of my ducklings are still drakes my adult male Cayuga drake is very protective of his fine ladies. I hope I can get some mixes of khaki/Cayuga mixes or Pekin/Cayuga or Pekin/khaki when they grow up

They may be. It depends quite heavily on the drakes.
What breeds are your hens, and what breeds are your drakes?
Generally a good ratio is one drake to every 5 or so hens. But again, it really depends on the drake. One of my drakes was very sweet and didn't cause any problems with just one hen.
My drakes are Cayuga, Pekin and Khaki and my females are the same breed as the drakes

My drakes are Cayuga, Pekin and Khaki and my females are the same breed as the drakes
I would rehome or butcher the Pekin. Due to their large size, the drakes can be more harmful to the hens when mating.
Your Cayuga and Khaki drakes may get along and not cause any issues for the hens. How old are they?

I would rehome or butcher the Pekin. Due to their large size, the drakes can be more harmful to the hens when mating.
Your Cayuga and Khaki drakes may get along and not cause any issues for the hens. How old are they?
My adult Cayuga drake is 7 months old and my pekins and khakis and 1 1/2 weeks old

Did you vent sex them? How do you know they are drakes at a week and a half old?
I would keep the Cayuga.
I vent sexed them at 2 days and vent sexed them again yesterday. I will definitely be keeping the Cayuga because the APA stated that Cayuga were listed as endangered .

My 2 Runner drakes have 8 Runners an Buffs and there isn’t a problem. It really depends on the drake and how aggressive he is when mating. Maybe consider rehoming one or just having a separate area an have the two young drakes together.

Back
Top Bottom