should i buy eggs or day old chicks?

You did what was right for you. Not knowing how good your incubator is, etc. you could have ended up with no chicks. You made an investment and your investment will pay off when your chickens and rooster produce more chicks. Just relax, and know that it will work out for you in the end. Good luck.
D.gif

We it is certainly possible to go ahead and incubate some eggs too! You can see what your results are there and you reduce the total price of your flock, maybe even sell some! Great learning opportunity and verify your technique for hatching eggs in the future. Win Win!

do you have any roosters in that bunch?
i hope not.... where i am the chickens are not allowed at all....heh heh heh. the chicks stay pretty quiet but a rooster would really upset the neighbors. we had a lady and her husband come from the next street to find the dog that was disturbing them.... they were polite until the owner in question told them to shove of ...kinda. then boy what an attitude!

You get yours from Meyer? If so, I do too. I just wish the quality was more consistent. I make a run for started pullets once a year after culling my flock. Since I keep 150-400 layers, I don't have time to grow chicks. The initial cost is offset by the rapid returns.
Actually, mine came from Mt. Healthy. Awesome breed! Quick to mature, and gental.

i hope not.... where i am the chickens are not allowed at all....heh heh heh. the chicks stay pretty quiet but a rooster would really upset the neighbors. we had a lady and her husband come from the next street to find the dog that was disturbing them.... they were polite until the owner in question told them to shove of ...kinda. then boy what an attitude!
ok i was just asking i'm trying to figure out if a bird i have is a rooster because it sure is being mean to it cage mate

Its definitely better to buy chicks when your just staring out with a breed, because in eggs you don't know if there 100% fertile or if they even will hatch. To buy chicks you know you have at least as many as you buy. Good luck with your chickens!
D.gif

come sit by me. :) got a broody hen with the same dilemma.
last year I successfully stuffed baby chicks under a very persistent hen and she did great! new hen this time, only two days in...I CAN'T DECIDE!

Back
Top Bottom