Should I change the temp...?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Juise, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Juise

Juise Songster

Mar 4, 2011
    Just brought our 6 chicks home today, the feed store got them in yesterday. So probably 2 or 3 days old? 4? Anyway, my digital thermometer laying where the brooder lamp hits strongest says it is 93.6, but none of the chicks are laying right under the light, and none of them are cuddling.. They are all in the general vicinity, but spread out. Instinct tells me they are good, but I thought they were supposed to be between 95 and 100? If they seem happy, should I just leave it as is?

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Songster

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I'd leave it if they seem happy. Mine were okay over night when my furnace gets turned down an extra 5 degrees.

3. MethowPeeps25

MethowPeeps25 In the Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    Kirkland, WA
    I'd just leave it how it is. If they don't seem uncomfortable and aren't clustering for warmth I'd call it good! Hope you have fun raising your new babies![​IMG]

4. key west chick

key west chick Songster

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Leave it. My brooder is having trouble maintaining temp right now and hovers around 86*. But the chicks (about a week old now) are doing fine.

5. Juise

Juise Songster

Mar 4, 2011
    Thanks everyone! That's what I felt like, but what do I know? [​IMG] It's nice to have confirmation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: