Should I Cip Guineas' Wings?

babalubird

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
Reading the post about guineas roosting high and avoiding the coop, I wondered if when I get guineas if I should clip their wings to avoid such problems. We have no trees but a neighbor's roof nearby. It's 16 very open acres, no cover, and lots of coyotes and hawks. We have two Engish Shepherds that I hope will help protect against predators and hopefully will not make them dindin themselves. My male was socializing with chickens peacefully before I got him at 8 weeks. I don't know if he remembers or not. Eeeek!

Do any of you clip your guineas' wings? The other worry is whether or not the guineas could get out of the way of our three mischievious geldings should they decide guineas make great horse toys?

Thanks.

Connie

I was once told that you could pluck them bald and they would still be able to fly, lol. Not sure how true that is but I've tried to clip Button quail wings before and they could still fly
ep.gif

I can't imagine clipping my guineas' wings so they can't fly.....I don't think it would be very good for their survival unless you're planning on keeping them penned.

I would never clip my Guineas wings even though they will sometimes roost high in a Oak tree. Guineas need to be able to fly for their protection. They can fly real good.

Guineas will run before they fly. That said I had a fox after one of my males last Summer, the Guinea took flight just above the ground all the way up five acres to draw the fox away from his mate. So its not just self preservation that they will fly it is also to protect a female.

If you take the time and patience to train your Guineas to return to the coop each night, 90% of the time they will return on their own. Especially if you use something like millet as a treat each evening.

Back
Top Bottom