Should I Cover my Run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TalkALittle, Sep 30, 2015.

1. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    So technically my run is already covered but since a picture is worth a thousand words, I thought a thread with photos that contrast extreme conditions outside the run and the protection a covered run provides might save people from building a run and then later wishing they had covered it.

So, on that note, here's what it looks like outside my run today.
    [​IMG]
    That 3 inches of rain in the kiddie pool is just since this morning.

And here it is in the run.[​IMG]
    Nice and dry.

I'm sure many of you have your own pics (probably far more convincing than mine) so feel free to add them.

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I don't have pictures of it but our run is covered. About 2/3 of it has a shaded mesh type cover over it and the other 1/3 has a metal roof. All of that sure provided some welcome shade this summer when the temps were so high.

A covered run helps keep predators out too and that's always a good thing!

3. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Our run is covered with a metal roof. It would be a giant mud hole without it. Our dirt is boot-sucking clay and doesn't drain well. Even with an all day rain like we had yesterday, the hens were out & dry.

4. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts

Love the description. Any photos of that "boot-sucking" mud?

5. uzisuzuki

uzisuzuki Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    Colorado
    OMG I have the same dirt! After the last rainstorm a few days ago, I'm working on putting a metal roof on my run this weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by