Should I Cover my Run?

TalkALittle

Songster
7 Years
Dec 15, 2014
Massachusetts
So technically my run is already covered but since a picture is worth a thousand words, I thought a thread with photos that contrast extreme conditions outside the run and the protection a covered run provides might save people from building a run and then later wishing they had covered it.

So, on that note, here's what it looks like outside my run today.

That 3 inches of rain in the kiddie pool is just since this morning.

And here it is in the run.

Nice and dry.

I'm sure many of you have your own pics (probably far more convincing than mine) so feel free to add them.

I don't have pictures of it but our run is covered. About 2/3 of it has a shaded mesh type cover over it and the other 1/3 has a metal roof. All of that sure provided some welcome shade this summer when the temps were so high.

A covered run helps keep predators out too and that's always a good thing!

Our run is covered with a metal roof. It would be a giant mud hole without it. Our dirt is boot-sucking clay and doesn't drain well. Even with an all day rain like we had yesterday, the hens were out & dry.

Our run is covered with a metal roof. It would be a giant mud hole without it. Our dirt is boot-sucking clay and doesn't drain well. Even with an all day rain like we had yesterday, the hens were out & dry.
OMG I have the same dirt! After the last rainstorm a few days ago, I'm working on putting a metal roof on my run this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom