should I cull the entire flock in late winter and start fresh?

So sorry you are going throught this! I'm new to chickens and have a question or comment. Once you're birds are stable, why can't you just have a closed flock and enjoy them? I know they can be carrriers but Wouldn't it be easier to allow a natural elimination? Get the diagnosis, Practice biosecurity, treat if necc. then enjoy your birds for a while. It seems so radical when you know that wild birds are carriers and you risk getting CRD all over again. Like I said I am new..just a thought
idunno.gif

Anyone that has a flock tested for the NPIP program can get them to also test for mg/ms. I did. My flock got sick 4 months ago and I removed them.. I cried then I started cleanning. My runs were re- sanded all wood sprayed with clorox. Then I learned that clorox will not do it in soiled areas. I bought virkon s that kills ms which is what mine had. Sneezing clear drainage and then congestion and two had died. MS lives 9 days outside the poo and feathers. Longer on them. I waited three months and ordered chicks from someone who had been tested and uses Denagard to prevent the ms. Go to the web for more info on it. Not many of the hatcheries even will promise ms free chicks. Trying to find one that does is almost impossible as they will just pass you around and you never get an answer. I am restarted with 30 chicks ? num of hens and roos. I would like at least 12 for a good flock. I can really feel for you. As a matter of note. Hens with ms are still safe to eat if cooked , so are the eggs. You just can not introduce new chicks or hatch eggs from them. They will be carriers too. Good luck with your problem and I hope this helps a little bit. Gloria Jean

I would cull them all before winter(since they may just get sick again, isn't stress a trigger?), I would do whatever I needed to do to the ground, multiple times. I then would spend the whole next year treating the yard so it didn't happen again and wouldn't restock till the following year(total year and half). Probably overkill for some but I don't play and I don't take chances. I wouldn't want to go through it again. Of course I can keep my kids from spreading things to the other kids...I am thorough and attentive...just also my 2cents.....

Having not encountered this type problem, the only thing I can suggest is a full blown fresh start using a different supplier, a complete steam clean /pressure wash following a bleach water scrub down of your coop and all things chicken related, a fresh coat of Kilz, and then look into either treating the ground or relocating the coop and run to kill the gerbies there.

Good luck and please post what you decide and the results.

Back
Top Bottom