Should I decorate their coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by my5hens, Nov 24, 2012.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    For christmas?

I wont do lights because of fire hazzard, but I'm thinking of decorating the outside of their coop. I found a string of very small santa stockings that I could put on the roof of their house. They wont be able to peck at them.

Does anyone else do this? Pics?

Thanks!

2. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh no....*groans* You just gave me something else I didn't think about and now I have to go out and get Christmas coop decorations too! [​IMG]

3. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    This was Christmas 2011. Lights are on a timer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 of my girls are not with us this year. They went to chicken heaven. :( I decided no more putting names on stockings.
    [​IMG]

4. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    OMG I LOVE IT! [​IMG]

5. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Why are Christmas lights a fire hazard? People hang them on their houses every single year...leave them on all night long for others to enjoy, etc and I don't think there are that many fires due to exterior lights..they have ETL safety ratings on them, I thought? I was thinking of putting exterior lights on the coop - the chickens don't access that area. Maybe I won't now that you say fire hazard though. O_O yikes.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  6. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Have put lights on our coop the 3 years we have had chickens. I agree, just like lights on houses. I would guess the only issue is if your electrical wiring is faulty to begin with ? Our coop is wired for electricity as we have a ceiling fan and a/c for the girls. Their coop/run light is on a timer... goes on at dusk and off 30 minutes later. Then on around 7 am for a half an hour.

Have fun decorating the coop!

7. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    Dunstable, MA
    For the last 2 winters I put up solar Christmas lights on the coop and they worked and looked great! I don't see any reason why these should be of any fire concern. I also put up a natural wreath on their people door to their coop. I should have taken pix. I will this year. Hope everyone here on the site has a wonderful holiday season filled with gratitude for all of the love and laughs our girls (and occasional roos) provide us with.
    [​IMG]

8. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    I'm planning on putting up some lights and I already have a Christmas wreath up!!!! and now I plan to add some stockings to it like the picture above!!!! great idea [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by