Should I decorate their coop?

my5hens

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
For christmas?

I wont do lights because of fire hazzard, but I'm thinking of decorating the outside of their coop. I found a string of very small santa stockings that I could put on the roof of their house. They wont be able to peck at them.

Does anyone else do this? Pics?

Thanks!

Oh no....*groans* You just gave me something else I didn't think about and now I have to go out and get Christmas coop decorations too!
lol.png

This was Christmas 2011. Lights are on a timer.

7 of my girls are not with us this year. They went to chicken heaven. :( I decided no more putting names on stockings.

Why are Christmas lights a fire hazard? People hang them on their houses every single year...leave them on all night long for others to enjoy, etc and I don't think there are that many fires due to exterior lights..they have ETL safety ratings on them, I thought? I was thinking of putting exterior lights on the coop - the chickens don't access that area. Maybe I won't now that you say fire hazard though. O_O yikes.

Last edited:
Why are Christmas lights a fire hazard? People hang them on their houses every single year...leave them on all night long for others to enjoy, etc and I don't think there are that many fires due to exterior lights..they have ETL safety ratings on them, I thought? I was thinking of putting exterior lights on the coop - the chickens don't access that area. Maybe I won't now that you say fire hazard though. O_O yikes.
Have put lights on our coop the 3 years we have had chickens. I agree, just like lights on houses. I would guess the only issue is if your electrical wiring is faulty to begin with ? Our coop is wired for electricity as we have a ceiling fan and a/c for the girls. Their coop/run light is on a timer... goes on at dusk and off 30 minutes later. Then on around 7 am for a half an hour.

Have fun decorating the coop!

For the last 2 winters I put up solar Christmas lights on the coop and they worked and looked great! I don't see any reason why these should be of any fire concern. I also put up a natural wreath on their people door to their coop. I should have taken pix. I will this year. Hope everyone here on the site has a wonderful holiday season filled with gratitude for all of the love and laughs our girls (and occasional roos) provide us with.
wee.gif

I'm planning on putting up some lights and I already have a Christmas wreath up!!!! and now I plan to add some stockings to it like the picture above!!!! great idea
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom