Should I deworm just in case?

Four birds. When I let them out of the coop into the run in the morning, they all run to the feeder and two or three can fit comfortably to chow down, and they spill a lot in the process, so one usually eats off the tray (placed there to catch food and make sure it doesn't get mixed in with the dirt) The water is flowing freely, and they seem to be drinking fine from it- I try to adjust it if it's at an angle that makes the water level low. I'm working on my grit and shell setup- so far they've knocked over everything that I've tried to use, mixing all the grit and shell in with the dirt. I'll try some different methods. I'd like to get a proper feeder, but at the moment all of my spare cash is going to Christmas gifts. I'll make another milk carton one.

Oh, they can make a mess LOL
You don't have to do anything fancy. If you have a couple of shallow cans like tuna cans, you could screw those on either side of a post in the run to hold the grit and oyster shell, just make sure the cans don't have any sharp edges. You could do the same with a small roundish plastic dish, etc.
I like using zip ties for things too, you may find a way to attach your containers without having to use screws too?:)
1607451866668.png

Oh, they can make a mess LOL
You don't have to do anything fancy. If you have a couple of shallow cans like tuna cans, you could screw those on either side of a post in the run to hold the grit and oyster shell, just make sure the cans don't have any sharp edges. You could do the same with a small roundish plastic dish, etc.
I like using zip ties for things too, you may find a way to attach your containers without having to use screws too?:)
View attachment 2441195
I could maybe use zip ties through the HC?

Should I still deworm just in case ANYWAY because I don't know the last time they've been dewormed? I read something that said you should deworm every couple months as a precaution, is that accurate?

Should I still deworm just in case ANYWAY because I don't know the last time they've been dewormed? I read something that said you should deworm every couple months as a precaution, is that accurate?
We have LOADS of zip ties. This is great. I don't even know where the zip ties come from- we just have a seemingly infinite zip tie source.
I would see if the behavior you see improves once you have made a few changes.

Ideally getting a fecal float to see if worms are a problem for you is best.
Some do de-worm more frequently depending on their environment/climate/soil. @dawg53 is the worm guru, so his input will be good to have.
I usually only de-worm twice a year if that.

I have to respectfully disagree with the gapeworm comments. I've had gapeworm in my flock for three years and only found out about it almost two years ago bc I thought it was rare. It's not. I was doing well at eradicating it by resting the infected land, but this spring a mockingbird contracted it and spread it around specific territorial sites he would stay in (I know bc I tested his poop). I've learned quite a bit, however. Some healthy hens do not have any symptoms. Despite knowing exactly what to watch for, for the past two years, I still had a hen get it this November and me not know, and I watch them so carefully. She usually shakes her head and yawns and even gets some poop on her vent feathers. Not this time. I do my own fecals and check them every two weeks. I was in such disbelief that she had it that I ran a new sample and to my surprise, she did have it. She had gotten into some contaminated area I took the fencing down from prematurely and picked it back up.

I did lose a rooster this past spring in a separate yard who I thought was on clean ground. He had a previous gurgling that he had always had since I got him from my brother, and when he stopped eating and the gurgling got worse, I assumed incorrectly it was that gurgling had just gotten worse. He had not had gapeworm up until that time. He did have a new case of gapeworm and I didn't connect the dots bc of his history. His new yard he was moved to should have been clean since no chickens were on it, but this was land inhabited by the mockingbird and I had no idea at that point he had it. It would be two more months before I figured he was spreading it. I was doing fecals but gapeworm will be in their trachea starting at day seven of exposure and you will not see eggs until day 18 when they begin to reproduce. He died before I had time to figure it out. His previous health issues exacerbated his symptoms and led to his death. So it can kill indeed, but it doesn't always.

Anyway, some chickens are not affected by it and hide it very well. They eat and drink just fine and the only way to know for sure is to do your own fecals and keep an eye on them. If only I had done my own fecals when I brought this one hen in that had them, I could have saved myself a lot of issues.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom