~~Should I feed scratch??~~

Tripp16

Songster
8 Years
May 26, 2011
North Carolina
Hi,
I was reading something about how not to feed your chickens scratch when its hot? Is this true?
hmm.png
Should I not be feeding scratch in the heat, Its about 92 degrees here in NC.
hmm.png

Thanks any advice on what to feed them? They are 3 month old pullets? Any specific brands that arent outrageous in price?
fl.gif
Sorry to ask soo many questions!! haha
big_smile.png

Thanks again!
big_smile.png

The myth of scratch making them "hot" is just that.

No, you don't "have" to feed them scratch grains. It is just something nice to do in the evening, to throw a bit on the ground, to give them something to pick at and scratch the dirt looking for. It isn't a balanced ration, of course, and pullets going into lay or laying need complete and balanced feed to be productive egg layers.

Scratch is not good feed for growing chicks or egg laying pullets...it is best used for occassional treats. I give mine about 3-4 handfuls in the evening for a treat...I have layer pellets for my older layers and chick starter for my growing chicks. I have 17 chickens total.

All Scratch Grain is not created "equal".
I feed a "scratch grain" (a all grain Pigeon Feed) that is around 17% protein and well balanced.

I feed this Scratch year round to growing, laying and breeding stock.

Chris

Quote:
What is the brand of your scratch??

It is a Pigeon Grain that I use as a scratch and it put out by Martig Farms, Inc. and is 14% protein but I add a few thing to up the protein to 17% protein.
It has Wheat, Milo, Maple Peas, Trapper Peas, Austrian Peas, Buckwheat, Corn, White Millet, Oat Groats, Malt Barley, Safflower and to this I add Black Oil Sunflower Seed, Paddy Rice, Linseed (Flax), and Hemp Seed.

Note I get Linseed (Flax) from my mill. If you go and buy "Flax" you are going to pay 3 times as much and there the same thing.
The Paddy Rice and the Hemp Seed I get from a online pigeon supply store.

Chris

Quote:
What is the brand of your scratch??

It is a Pigeon Grain that I use as a scratch and it put out by Martig Farms, Inc. and is 14% protein but I add a few thing to up the protein to 17% protein.
It has Wheat, Milo, Maple Peas, Trapper Peas, Austrian Peas, Buckwheat, Corn, White Millet, Oat Groats, Malt Barley, Safflower and to this I add Black Oil Sunflower Seed, Paddy Rice, Linseed (Flax), and Hemp Seed.

Note I get Linseed (Flax) from my mill. If you go and buy "Flax" you are going to pay 3 times as much and there the same thing.
The Paddy Rice and the Hemp Seed I get from a online pigeon supply store.

Chris

Ok thanks!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom