Should I feel remorse for the raccoons that my dog kills?

Indiana hens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 25, 2008
Pendleton, Indiana
I have been wondering if I am polorized toward raccoons. Should I have compassion for the little kritters? They have only decapitated 1 pullet. My dog has killed many raccoons. Is there a correct ratio of raccoons to pullets? He is 3/4 Collie and 1/4 Akita. After all he killed my favorite pet Buff Orpington rooster and learned his lesson!

Last edited:
Nope. Don't feel bad for the critters. They can find other food besides your chickens.
wink.png

I wouldn't feel bad. In fact, I think I would give your dog an extra treat! You have to keep your family and homestead safe from any type of predator. And any way, it's the circle of life...Remember the Lion King???

I am very soft hearted and used to feel sorry for Raccoons, possums, hawks, and every other animal that got killed here on even hit by a car.

Since I have had chickens and lost several to those predators, I look at it a bit different. My birdies come first the rest can help fertilize the garden. Any predator caught near the coups is disposed of immediately.

BTW: Make sure your dog is up to date on it's rabies vaccines. Coons are big carries. Even then I would careful. The vaccine is only about 75% effective.

Matt

Feel bad for the coon, HECK NO. Give that dog a BIG steak and egg breakfast. Then roast the coon for his dinner. You should be thankful for the dog, if it wasn't for him you would lose a lot more chickens.

I'm impressed your dog actually can catch a coon. I have a coon hound/basset hound mix
that trees coons but has never caught one. A racoon can do a lot of damage to a dog.
I'd also be concerned with the coon transmitting a disease.

As for your feelings well that is personal. I feel bad when I cull a chicken, eliminate
vermin like a chipmunk or rat, or even when my hens eat a frog. I think "feeling bad"
is normal for most animal lovers. However, other emotions like anger, fear or excitement
can cover up "remorse".

So my answer to your post is no, you shouldn't feel remorse but I wouldn't be surprised
if you still feel a little bad.

Quote:
Oh, my wallet would definately feel bad about that.
wink.png
Glad he is ok.

I failed to mention in my last post the feeling I would have the most is pride in my
pooch.
smile.png

Im shocked at how heartless some people can be. If your child killed someone's animals, and their dog killed your child because of it.... would you feel bad for your kid? I mean, he did deserve it since the dog was protecting the flock. Raccoons have hearts too, they are just looking for food and you are providing them with an easy meal.

So yeah, you should feel bad for taking a life, even if its through your dog. Sheesh people, how do you stay alive without your pump??
roll.png

Racoons have hearts and brains and stomachs that they want to fill up.. Hopefully not on my chickens. If I catch any can i\\I send them to Central California for LUNCH! ?
I've seen where they litterally pull a chicken apart after wrapping their little flexible paws around a chick in a cage and forcibly pull it shredding it through the wires. I've had my dogs coaxed into a deep pool of water...that's how racoons kill dogs. they drowned them by pulling them under and holding Fido down till he drowns. They destroyed my corn crop and my popcorn crop. They raid in packs. Cute maybe...dangerous VERY!

Back
Top Bottom