Should i finally help hatch?

FarmInProgress

Chirping
Jan 25, 2020
So this year my school is hatching eggs (which i am in charge of)....i brought 9 eggs to put in and 8 were fertile. Today is day 22.... 5 hatched days 20-21. There is one that has zipped nearly half way around but hasn't done anything for nearly 24 hours.....so my question is, is it time to help before it dies. I don't have school on Friday so i cant leave it here basically ( today is Thursday).. and my school ends at 4pm so if any can help me please answer as soon as possible PLEASE and thank you!!!

Yes when they stall in a zip it is usually safe to help them. Zipping shouldn't take more than 2 hours. 24 hours is a long time so expect the chick may be pretty weak at this point. If it is some electrolyte solution or sugar water may help perk it up. Good luck!

The chances of it making it are slim by the sounds of it since you cannot take it home and saving it would require nurturing it back to good health over the weekend.
Since it sounds so weak already have no illusions you can just pop it in with the others and it will be fine. Even strong chicks that hatch well can still end up dying, a weak chick needs to be hand fed like a baby.
So the only thing you can do is try to assist today so that you can feed it tomorrow and hope it survives the weekend.
Some people believe chicks need sugar. Sugar is fine, it provides energy but sugar is just a temporary band aid that makes a chick more alert for an hour. Long term it needs food, water and vitamins to get back on its feet.
If you don't have remedies on hand like poultry nutri-drench then feed it some egg yolk mixed with water in a syringe,.
Sugar will perk it up for an hour or 2 if you want to add some.
I have fed weak chicks on my own multivitamin supplements with good results. Just be aware that a chick needs about 200 times less than a human so I sprinkle a bit of crushed tablet into a glass of water so it gets diluted , then I use that to give it something to drink.

I helped the chick which looks to have some stiff legs :/ i kinda figured it would....I'm going to bring it home today and will probably have to cull the chick :( ...at least i got 5 other chicks :)

it's good you can take it home. Please don't think the worst just yet, if you can look after it at home it will have good chances.

When I wrote my post it sounded like you couldn't transport it and it would have to survive on its own over the weekend which is why I said what I said but if you can look after it stiff legs can be recovered from.
It doesn't sound like it has any serious deformities or any major issues so try to save it, one of my rescues is my favorite bird here!

oh i wouldn't have left him there...but when i helped him i had to move quick before my next period so i saw him for a split second so that's why it looked like he had funky legs but nope he is a healthy baby, he was very lively when he hatched and still is lol. I'm just surprised he wasn't week at all! he is quite a bit smaller than it's siblings but that's okay:) And he is doing very well! Thank y'all!

Funky legs is a poor description. Do you mean splay legs, which look like this?
proxy.duckduckgo.com.png

If so, you can do this to correct it, and it should be fine.

index.jpg

oh i wouldn't have left him there...but when i helped him i had to move quick before my next period so i saw him for a split second so that's why it looked like he had funky legs but nope he is a healthy baby, he was very lively when he hatched and still is lol. I'm just surprised he wasn't week at all! he is quite a bit smaller than it's siblings but that's okay:) And he is doing very well! Thank y'all!
so glad your chick made it! Welcome to BYC!!!✨💜

Back
Top Bottom