Should I get a CL parakeet?

reereechickens

Songster
8 Years
Feb 12, 2011
Reidsville, NC
Hi! Someone in my area CL has 2 parakeets for rehoming. The owner says they are friendly and have had their wings clipped. I have never had parakeets but I have 15 chickens. So my questions are:

1. Should I get a CL parakeet or pet store?

2. If I'm gone 3 days will I need someone to feed them or can they be ok for that time?

3. If they had their wings clipped, does that mean they can't fly, do they still need people time?

Thanks for any answers!

If they look bright and active and healthy, no problem.

Wing trims mean very little on that small-bodied and light a bird. Do NOT trust a wing trim outside or near ceiling fans, cooking pots, anything that could be dangerous. Besides, that only lasts one molt. I had a Blue-crowned Conure with a COMPLETE wing trim, take off and fly right up into the biggest elm on the block. I grabbed the water hose and wet him down so he couldn't fly any further, then had to wait until he got dang good and ready to come down. (Peanut butter and jelly helped with that!)

Edited to add: they can fend for themselves for a couple of days if you make sure they have a [ul]more[/ul] than adequate supply of food/water and are pretty confident that temperature is not going to be an issue.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom