Should I get a rooster?

Ha..addiction or obsession!! Yep, it's a thing.
You have an awesome setup from the sounds of it. Go Crazy!! šŸ¤£
As far as breeds it's all what YOU want for a flock and YOUR goals or addiction. Some keep mixed, some keep breed only, some do both. I do both. I have 2 flocks, 1 mixed with a Black Copper Marans rooster and mixed hens including Barred Rocks which mated the BCM roo create Marans hybrids commonly referred to as Midnight Majesty Marans, which are a sex link hybrid. Males will be barred and females will basically look like a BCM hen. (Black with minimal copper in her cape) then I also have an Easter Egger that mated with the BCM roo should hopefully produce Olive Eggers.
My other flock pictured is all Black Copper Marans. (My obsession...and someday I might make a dime or two off of them and their dark eggs hopefully). It's a work in progress but I'm having fun.
Ayem Cemani is the breed your referring to. I've been wanting a Svart Hona flock which is the cold hardy alternative to the Ayem Cemani. But alas, too many birds already with more hatching.

On that note...
Babies !! Just hatched Easter Sunday. All BCM. šŸ˜‰
View attachment 3792845View attachment 3792846View attachment 3792847
Awww!!! Omg what cuties!! I want one or twelve. The bitty in last pic looks very unamused:) Youā€™ve got some great looking birds.
I just want chickens for some yard pest control insects and such. If they lay eggs great! My family will enjoy them. Other than that, they can just chicken around. At this point, safety is my main concern, I honestly didnā€™t know Iā€™d fall in love with them! Sigh I think Iā€™ve become one of ā€œthoseā€ ppl that has livestock as pets. Maybe Iā€™ll just go to the hatchery close my eyes and grab some chick. Like a grab bag.

A rooster changes the flock dynamics and these girls that love to lay on your shoulder and get snuggles are now 'His' girls
Thatā€™s interesting, I have a rooster and my girls are super snuggly with me. The rooster is too. They all jockey for a position in my lap

Attachments

• IMG_1887.jpeg
    IMG_1887.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 6
Thatā€™s interesting, I have a rooster and my girls are super snuggly with me. The rooster is too. They all jockey for a position in my lap
There are exceptions... I miss spoke by not adding that, thank you for the correction.
Happy to hear you have such an amazing rooster, love hearing stories about the good ones.

Last edited:
Awww!!! Omg what cuties!! I want one or twelve. The bitty in last pic looks very unamused:) Youā€™ve got some great looking birds.
I just want chickens for some yard pest control insects and such. If they lay eggs great! My family will enjoy them. Other than that, they can just chicken around. At this point, safety is my main concern, I honestly didnā€™t know Iā€™d fall in love with them! Sigh I think Iā€™ve become one of ā€œthoseā€ ppl that has livestock as pets. Maybe Iā€™ll just go to the hatchery close my eyes and grab some chick. Like a grab bag.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Maybe you could pick out different egg color layers for that perfect egg basket..šŸ˜ƒ
Most of mine mostly just lay different shades of brown so kinda drab in that department.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Maybe you could pick out different egg color layers for that perfect egg basket..šŸ˜ƒ
Most of mine mostly just lay different shades of brown so kinda drab in that department.
Welp say hello to Gomez and Morticia. Frizzle bantams. Hereā€™s hoping for a rooster!

Attachments

• 9C7A5FCF-6965-41CF-8DE8-E2ADF0E5E7CA.jpeg
    9C7A5FCF-6965-41CF-8DE8-E2ADF0E5E7CA.jpeg
    898.4 KB · Views: 4
:( Iā€™m sorry about Morty.
I had to look up that type of chicken- they look fierce in that beautiful way-.

Ooo she was beautiful! I hope she lived to a ripe old age. (Not that that makes it easier or anything). And she totally looks like a Morticia!
Why thank you šŸ™‚...she was only 4 yrs. old. I want to hatch some this year and I'll name 1 'Wednesday'... a little 'In memory of'

Hope your new little ones have a good first night home.

Back
Top Bottom