Should I get a second opinion on my horse’s sensitivity?

Hello everyone! I wasn’t quite sure how to phrase the title, so if it’s confusing forgive me.
So, a little over a year ago I bought a crossbred gelding at a large scale sale barn in Connecticut. No known history, other than suspected neglect at one point in his life. He is mid-late teens. When I got him home he had poor nutrition (even though he has a rather large hay belly!) poor hoof care, and weak back and hind end muscling.
After a month of pasture rest to let his hooves recover and let him settle, myself and a trainer started working him and discovered he was green broke at best.
A few months into working him, his trainer and I noticed some strange behavior, such as flinching away from touch, tensing up around people, (he’s very affectionate and LOVES people, so this kinda contradicts his personality) refusing to move forward under saddle, and rearing. We didn’t want to assume behavior problems and it seemed like it was coming from something physical, so we tested for Lyme disease. Unsurprisingly, it came back positive.
Because of his apparent sensitivity, he was out of work for several months while he was treated. After this I also had him seen by an equine chiropractor, message therapist, and dentist. They all gave him a clean bill of health.
Over the fall and winter he seemed better under saddle (no rearing, limited bucking) but the sensitivity to touch never quite went away. The reading and bucking has since returned, although not nearly as bad as when he had Lyme. He doesn’t try to throw the rider, just protests whatever is being asked if him.
The sensitivity is especially prominent on his right side, most noticeably his neck and poll. He also has a very difficult time cantering. I have him do stretches, lungeing, and long warm ups before each ride, which seem to marginally help.
The local vet has looked at him several times, and she sees the problems but doesn’t really know what to think. She does not believe it to be related to the previous Lyme. She thought maybe his poor canter could be more mental than anything, perhaps left over from a previous career as driving horse. She was concerned by the combined symptoms, but didn’t have an answer. Unfortunately in the small rural vet clinic she works for, they don’t have access to many of the tests and equipment of larger practices.
I’m getting concerned now, because he really does seem uncomfortable. I would hate to be working and training a horse who is in pain. There is an esteemed vet clinic several hours from my barn, with a good history of diagnosing weird symptoms such as this. Several of my friends and family members have brought their horses there and had great success, so now I’m wondering if I should give it a try.
What do the horse people of backyardchickens think? Worth it or not? Thanks!
(I am attempting to add photos, may or may not work! If I figure out how to blur the faces, I will post a video of him being worked.)
He’s beautiful.

Hello everyone! I wasn’t quite sure how to phrase the title, so if it’s confusing forgive me.
So, a little over a year ago I bought a crossbred gelding at a large scale sale barn in Connecticut. No known history, other than suspected neglect at one point in his life. He is mid-late teens. When I got him home he had poor nutrition (even though he has a rather large hay belly!) poor hoof care, and weak back and hind end muscling.
After a month of pasture rest to let his hooves recover and let him settle, myself and a trainer started working him and discovered he was green broke at best.
A few months into working him, his trainer and I noticed some strange behavior, such as flinching away from touch, tensing up around people, (he’s very affectionate and LOVES people, so this kinda contradicts his personality) refusing to move forward under saddle, and rearing. We didn’t want to assume behavior problems and it seemed like it was coming from something physical, so we tested for Lyme disease. Unsurprisingly, it came back positive.
Because of his apparent sensitivity, he was out of work for several months while he was treated. After this I also had him seen by an equine chiropractor, message therapist, and dentist. They all gave him a clean bill of health.
Over the fall and winter he seemed better under saddle (no rearing, limited bucking) but the sensitivity to touch never quite went away. The reading and bucking has since returned, although not nearly as bad as when he had Lyme. He doesn’t try to throw the rider, just protests whatever is being asked if him.
The sensitivity is especially prominent on his right side, most noticeably his neck and poll. He also has a very difficult time cantering. I have him do stretches, lungeing, and long warm ups before each ride, which seem to marginally help.
The local vet has looked at him several times, and she sees the problems but doesn’t really know what to think. She does not believe it to be related to the previous Lyme. She thought maybe his poor canter could be more mental than anything, perhaps left over from a previous career as driving horse. She was concerned by the combined symptoms, but didn’t have an answer. Unfortunately in the small rural vet clinic she works for, they don’t have access to many of the tests and equipment of larger practices.
I’m getting concerned now, because he really does seem uncomfortable. I would hate to be working and training a horse who is in pain. There is an esteemed vet clinic several hours from my barn, with a good history of diagnosing weird symptoms such as this. Several of my friends and family members have brought their horses there and had great success, so now I’m wondering if I should give it a try.
What do the horse people of backyardchickens think? Worth it or not? Thanks!
(I am attempting to add photos, may or may not work! If I figure out how to blur the faces, I will post a video of him being worked.)
Yes I would go to the vet you think will definitely help. You have gone this far-don’t stop now. That horse is lucky to have you.

Poor guy, he's lucky to have such a good friend in you!

I think you are on the right path for sure. My suggestions have already been mentioned so I won't repeat anything, but just as an extra "well, have you tried this?"....

Saddle fit? I don't think I read anything about that (but could be mistaken!)

Good luck to you both!
Thank you! The saddle fit did concern me at first, but in the time I’ve had him I’ve gone through several saddles and had a few different saddle fitters work on them, so I’m pretty comfortable with the one I have fitting him. I should have mentioned it but I overlooked it because it didn’t pan out. I appreciate your help, and thank you so much for the good wishes.

Very true omperazole paste is only effective 68% of the time orally..injectable or pantaprazole injectable ( used much shorter period of time it is used in human meds prior to surgery if person has a hx of esrd) much more effectove. Omeprazole with one of two other meds with diet change..also if stalled see if there is something preventing good rest ( bright lights, regular loud noises - a working quarry) etc can all make horses sensitive

we have horses you cant use a rub rag or can only use a rub rag only use a super soft curry or body brush or water brush or etc. There are very few that tolerate all

one more thing mostly goes away in winter..do you all have swarms of no-see-ums or other barely visible but highly annoying biting flies..they may leave no marks but leave the horse with a very heightened reaction to touch
Yeah, my sister’s OTTB is like you described with brushing, a real wimp!
In the timeframe of the symptoms, my boy has been both stalled and 24hr turnout, (currently stalled at night) and the barn he’s boarded at has a pretty strict policy for keeping the barn quiet and dark and night, so that hasn’t been a concern. Our winters and super, super cold, so definitely no bugs then, but now that spring is here that could be an issue, I’ll make sure to keep him bug sprayed.
I can’t thank you enough, you’re so kind and knowledgeable!

Thank you, it really means a lot to have this support from everyone. I’ve been toying with this for a while, not wanting to overreact but also not wanting to hurt the horse or lose his trust.
Thank you, it really means a lot to have this support from everyone. I’ve been toying with this for a while, not wanting to overreact but also not wanting to hurt the horse or lose his trust.
I don’t think you trying to help your horse would cause him to lose your trust. If he’s in pain you are try to relieve it somehow. I think he will eventually feel that especially if y’all have developed a bond. Good luck on that second opinion. Let us know if you get any good answers this time around.

Nobody asked me, and I should stay out of this, but have you considered with all the time, money and effort you have spent on this horse, with no end in sight that you might be better off to just bite the bullet and get another horse? Pretty horse, though. Here is a thought. Has anyone considered giving him bute for a day or two for pain and see if he acts any better?

Nobody asked me, and I should stay out of this, but have you considered with all the time, money and effort you have spent on this horse, with no end in sight that you might be better off to just bite the bullet and get another horse? Pretty horse, though. Here is a thought. Has anyone considered giving him bute for a day or two for pain and see if he acts any better?
We did have him on Equiox (which is a little safer than bute) for a week trial run, but in the end the decision was made to avoid pain meds, as they didn’t make a significant difference and there could be long term consequences.
I get what you mean about dumping money and time on him, but I’m not ambitious about showing at the moment, and I’d rather figure out the problem before I make any decisions about continuing to ride him. I knew the risks of buying a horse with no known history, so I feel like I have the responsibility to make sure he’s as healthy as possible. If this doesn’t pan out, I might consider another horse. Either way, he will have a home for the rest of his life!

We did have him on Equiox (which is a little safer than bute) for a week trial run, but in the end the decision was made to avoid pain meds, as they didn’t make a significant difference and there could be long term consequences.
I get what you mean about dumping money and time on him, but I’m not ambitious about showing at the moment, and I’d rather figure out the problem before I make any decisions about continuing to ride him. I knew the risks of buying a horse with no known history, so I feel like I have the responsibility to make sure he’s as healthy as possible. If this doesn’t pan out, I might consider another horse. Either way, he will have a home for the rest of his life!
I want you to know that I usually don't follow my own advice. I can't tell you how much money I have spent on what I knew very well to be lost causes. I suggested the pain medications to simply see if they made a difference in the way he acted. If there was a big improvement while on pain meds then you would know that the issues were due to pain. If they didn't make a difference, then you should look at behavioral issues. I am no expert on horses so I really can't advise you. I wish you the best. He is a beautiful horse.

Back
Top Bottom