Should I get a silkie hen??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ericasl, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Well I have been wanting a broody hen for sometime(I guess it will never happen with the hens I have) I am not good at waiting!! Well this morning I was looking on Craigslist and guess what is on there Silkie hens, white ones, black ones, brown and black ones. She wants anywhere from 15-20 bucks for them they will be a year old in June. She saw they are show birds. Well I called my DH and told him I just wanted 1 more hen he said you better get 2[​IMG]!!SO should I go for it or is that to much money for 1 hen, I donot really think 15 is so bad for a nice healty bird that is laying already. Just wanted to know what you all think.

Thanks
    Erica

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    When I had questions about silkies, I got some great advice from [email protected]@2four. PM her, she is very sweet and helpfull.[​IMG]

3. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Definitely [​IMG] I have had slikies in the past and they are so much fun. Mine were laying really well whenever they weren't broody (not very often), and they mine was an excellent mother.

4. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    That's a good price for a good quality silkie. There is no guarantee they'll ever get broody. I have three and only one gets sort of broody, she's not good at it. She'll hang out on an egg all morning, but she gets bored or hungry pretty quickly and wanders off. So you husband is right, better get a whole bunch & increase your odds!

5. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I know someone who paid 15 a piece for silkie chicks. If they are show quality they are gonna be more money...still cheaper than an incubator and silkies are SO cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by