Should I get a Silkie?

mwrfish

Hatching
Mar 23, 2020
It is the first experience with chickens for myself, my husband, and kids who are 4 1/2 and 1 1/2. We've been renting 2 black australorps and enjoyed the experience so much, we are keeping the chickens and getting chicks - 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rock, and 2 Araucanas.

We think Silkies are absolutely adorable looking and know their temperament is supposedly great for kids. However, we are very concerned about predators as we live in CT in the country where there are a lot of hawks, opossums, raccoons, etc. The chickens that have been with us have been allowed to free range and have truly turned into pets, walking around our back patio and keeping us company while we are outside. With many more chickens, we are feeling the need that we will need to be more cautious and keep them in a chicken run as we won't be able to keep an eye on all of them.

What is your thoughts on Silkies in the countryside? Is it safe? Is it fair to keep the Silkie in a chicken run and limit the outside, free range time? We also planned to only get female chicks as we are only interested in receiving eggs/having pets, not getting more chickens and know that Silkies take a while to sex so are hesitant to move forward for that purpose also.

Thanks for your input!

I would get an entire separate flock for silkies. They don’t integrate well into flocks if full sized chickens and would be picked on. I used to free range mine but a hawk took them all, as well as cats, so I would keep them in a coop. Other than that, they are the best!

Back
Top Bottom