Should I get geese pros and cons all opinions count

JRies

Crowing
Jun 7, 2019
Colorado
Ok Folks I have geese and love them but there not right for everyone. Im asking all the great people on this group to jump in. Spring 2023 is just around the corner Please all post what you love about geese, what breed you raise, and the upside and downside, all opinions count... I couldnt imagine my life without them but I have a world set up for them,

I currently have 11 geese, in total I’ve had 20 geese, most of which are French Toulouse from Metzer, followed by Buff from Metzer or McMurray, and Classic Roman from Metzer.

The biggest Pro with geese are their personalities.
Geese are all individuals, they are amusing and wonderful little characters that are incredibly loving and loyal when a person takes the time to bond with them.

Other pros.
Very high social intelligence
Trainable
Excellent memory
Good parents generally
Big eggs
Good grazers
Generally healthy and disease free
Intimidating to some
Scares strangers out of the yard
Not as messy as ducks
Feces wash away easier than chicken feces
Observant, can spot aerial predators easily
Can deter hawks

Cons.
Possibly lower problem solving abilities compared to most chickens
Varying degrees of aggression in breeding season, quick to anger in breeding season
Sometimes destructive to plants and other things, depends on the individual
Is considered loud and noisy to some
Can be hostile towards other species of birds
Poor defense capabilities
Will not protect your flock from most ground predators
Vulnerable to anything raccoon sized and up
Intimidating to some
Nearly impossible to find a vet willing to see and treat geese
Very little medical knowledge available for geese compared to other species

Last edited:
"Should I get geese?" is the question everyone should ask themselves.

My answer is yes.

I have hatchery Roman tufted and Embden.

Pros
1. They're funny.
2. They'll chat with you even if you're not crazy.
3. They walk themselves.

Cons
1. They poop everywhere.
2. They can be annoying at times.
3. They can be intimidating (but that's also considered a good thing)

Thank you everyone please keep going everyone's opinion counts good or bad

I watch people find old threads I want folks to see what there in for. Good and bad.... I couldn't imagine my life without mine but they are geese.. Mine are very attentive very bossy there life is about me and what I have to do or say so smart but also require more time emotionally than any dog Iv ever had.

Bad side to geese
well they need to work it out inside there flock yep some get picked on but eventually everyone learns the pecking order. Including you. PS make sure your number one in that order.
Loud but the quieter you talk the quieter they get they want to here what your saying. Try this some time move your lips make soft sounds. If they cant here you well they really want to. But yes they can be loud.
Not guardians just alarm systems. Large prey birds may avoid them from there size or the size of the flock but our 4 footed wild friends have no fear.. So they need protection at night..
You can watch them for hours always bissy always doing something or just 1/2 sleeping so entertainment is a must. Its ok they will find there own a bush you just planted a vine a pice of plastic you forgot to pick up that flew in from a neighbors yard. So you do need to take a look every morning when you let them out. What can they get into today.
Best toy in the world to my kiddos is a shallow pond bucket thing with about a inch of water in it on a big dirt pile. Yaa mud pies...
Geese live up to 20-30 years be comited...

Great side of geese. There interactive with you, They express there love to you, The alert you when something is just not right, They enjoy being with you They are trainable and smart and listen, But most of that is up to you. They will give you everything but dont spoil them if you do opps. Time to retrain the Guardian. Geese understand pecking order and its a respect thing. Be number one with your geese and you know your there when everyone comes close to the pouch closes both eyes tuck there neck and enjoys nap time because they know your now watching for them..

As always geese are amazing but not for everyone...

Last edited:
I have geese and love them, I personally think they are worth it.

Cons:
At first I honestly thought I made a mistake lol. I did research before so I knew they would poop alot but actually having them and seeing poop literally everywhere is a shock at first haha. Now when we go outside we wear our 'poop' shoes. Lol.

They scream so loud (at least mine do).. so if you have people that live next door I'd check with them to make sure they don't mind. Mine usually scream when I first let them out (they are so excited its so funny) and when they notice they are alone happens at least 3x a day (they don't always pay attention to where the group is going).

Some can be bullies so if you have other animals be prepared if you have to make adjustments (if you have to keep them seperate). Mine tend to bully some of my chickens but at the same time a couple of my chickens bully them lol they generally get along decent though.

When they molt my yard is covered in feathers...it looks like a bird explosion

Pros
They are beautiful
So entertaining and funny to watch
Everyone that comes by loves them
They do talk back to you
They are soo soft
They are always near us when we are outside or even inside they stay by our door.
They greet us when we come home and come to us when we leave to say bye

They act like feathered dogs lol

Back
Top Bottom