Should I get more?

TaylorsChicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Hello!
I am confused, I already have three White Leghorns and three Partridge Plymouth Rocks, but I want more. I'm not saying that I don't love my two week old babies, but I just need more. But should I get more? How do you introduce three day old chicks to some who are around two weeks? (I don't know the exact age of mine.) How many should I get? Thank you for taking the time to read this!
idunno.gif

Depending on how you are keeping the chicks... I would suggest keeping them separated by chicken wire (or maybe a mesh of some sort, don't want them sticking their heads through the holes) so they can see each other. This will keep the older ones from picking on the new babies yet still allow everyone to get to know eachother...it may be 3+ weeks until they can safely mingle. How many you get is entirely up to you! Hope this helps
smile.png

I can not do what you suggested, but do you think it would be ok to just keep a lookout for any pecking?
hu.gif

you also need to keep in mind that if you get a new bird from a different breeder or at different times it could spread deases.

Our experience was that a 10 day difference was stressful for the new chicks. I try to stick within 7 days now. If I were you I would just set up a second brooder and introduce them at 3 and 5 weeks.

welcome-byc.gif

I've often mixed up to 3+ week age differences in my brooder without issues. The key is to have lots and lots of space. That's pretty much the main constraint for how many birds to have. No one can answer that for you. How many adult birds can you house comfortably, without crowding? How many adult birds can you afford to feed?

Back
Top Bottom