should i give eggs back to broody?

preciouschick

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
south central PA
My broody has 3 eggs. one pipped yesterday. I was so excited to go out this morning to find the chick dead. The yolk was still attached and broke all over another egg. There was a little blood on the neck/chest area. It could of just bern from the shell being crushed. which bn iscwhat i think happened. I removed the dead chick and mess. Took the other 2 eggs and put them in the incubator. I went and checked on the broody and she is still sitting there. Should i let her sit on the other 2 eggs and give her a chance?

My broody has 3 eggs. one pipped yesterday. I was so excited to go out this morning to find the chick dead. The yolk was still attached and broke all over another egg. There was a little blood on the neck/chest area. It could of just bern from the shell being crushed. which bn iscwhat i think happened. I removed the dead chick and mess. Took the other 2 eggs and put them in the incubator. I went and checked on the broody and she is still sitting there. Should i let her sit on the other 2 eggs and give her a chance?
If you feel confident of your incubator skills, you can hatch them in the incubator then sneak the chicks back under the broody at night when they're a day or two old. I'd just give her fake eggs or other eggs under her until the chicks are ready.

Or you could give them back to her and see how things turn out. Your call.

Things to consider Do you want the hen to raise the chicks? Or are you wanting to brood them yourself? If you want her to raise them there is a risk of a repeat of the first egg, but it is very slight. Adding the chicks after hatch has a risk of her not accepting them. Done properly this is also slight. There is also the risk that they don't hatch in an incubator. Chickens are usually better at controlling heat and humidity than humans.

If you feel confident of your incubator skills, you can hatch them in the incubator then sneak the chicks back under the broody at night when they're a day or two old. I'd just give her fake eggs or other eggs under her until the chicks are ready.

Or you could give them back to her and see how things turn out. Your call.
thank you. i think i will give her a chance. i dont believe it was intentional. let you know how it goes

Back
Top Bottom